KVM v Hyper-V - important now that free Hyper-V dying

verulian

Feb 18, 2019
With all of the news and discussion surrounding Hyper-V's free tier being killed off, the relevance of Proxmox and KVM seem to be rising. I was doing a little searching in trying to find some info and thought this thread might be of interest to Proxmox developers and users alike:
https://community.spiceworks.com/to...ff-free-hyper-v-how-do-you-feel-about-proxmox

I am confused to the sentiment there somewhat and the question of performance of KVM compared to Hyper-V and VMware seems important to address.

The spiceworks community forums are weird and censored, they remove posts from Proxmox Staff members as we do not pay for it.

So if you pay you can post as a vendor/project. If you do not pay them, they just delete the posting.

You should know this if you read their "community" forum.

You have got to be kidding me! Sounds like spicytown is jut an extension of the rest of the insanity of current society. What a horrible thing to hear.

Can you chime in on the points here? I can't help but wonder if, instead of Proxmox Staff chiming in, community members can innocuously post things there to point them to appropriate threads such as this for true enlightenment. Just looking around there one would think Proxmox is a bastard child of some king that needs to be killed off. It's shocking to hear things like "If you want to run KVM backed by an enterprise storage (zfs ,some distributed storage of high availlable storage), why not go de full opensource way. It has a bigger learning curve but in the end, you'll get more out of it."

It's been my impression that this is what Proxmox *IS*..........

Wow, just took another look and I can feel the acid dripping from that Spice thread. So sad.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!