KVM: Problems with different emulated scsi controllers

375gnu

Jun 17, 2014
Yesterday I was experimenting with different SCSI controllers emulation (I had a problem with VM migrated from VMWare), and I've found problems with LSI 53C810 and VMware PVSCSI.

• LSI 53C810 — seabios doesn't see it.
  • VMware PVSCSI — 1) seabios doesn't see it, 2) kvm doesn't with 2 scsi drives, see below.

kvm: -device scsi-hd,bus=scsihw0.0,channel=0,scsi-id=0,lun=1,drive=drive-scsi1,id=scsi1: bad scsi device lun: 1
kvm: -device scsi-hd,bus=scsihw0.0,channel=0,scsi-id=0,lun=1,drive=drive-scsi1,id=scsi1: Device initialization failed.
kvm: -device scsi-hd,bus=scsihw0.0,channel=0,scsi-id=0,lun=1,drive=drive-scsi1,id=scsi1: Device 'scsi-hd' could not be initialized
TASK ERROR: start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 115 -chardev 'socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/115.qmp,server,nowait' -mon 'chardev=qmp,mode=control' -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/115.vnc,x509,password -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/115.pid -daemonize -name test -smp 'sockets=1,cores=1' -nodefaults -boot 'menu=on' -vga cirrus -cpu kvm64,+lahf_lm,+x2apic,+sep -k en-us -m 512 -cpuunits 1000 -device 'piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1.0x2' -device 'usb-tablet,id=tablet,bus=uhci.0,port=1' -device 'virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3' -device 'pvscsi,id=scsihw0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/images/115/vm-115-disk-2.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-scsi1,format=qcow2,aio=native,cache=none' -device 'scsi-hd,bus=scsihw0.0,channel=0,scsi-id=0,lun=1,drive=drive-scsi1,id=scsi1' -drive 'if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=native' -device 'ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=ide2,bootindex=200' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/images/115/vm-115-disk-1.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-scsi0,format=qcow2,aio=native,cache=none' -device 'scsi-hd,bus=scsihw0.0,channel=0,scsi-id=0,lun=0,drive=drive-scsi0,id=scsi0,bootindex=101' -netdev 'type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap115i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge' -device 'e1000,mac=0A:BA:8E:22:C8:1B,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=300'' failed: exit code 1

Last edited:
the current seabios has issue with scsi, seems fixed in latest version. but so far we did not released packages with these fixes (qemu 2.0 only available via git).

I had a similar issue migrating a VMware prebuilt image that had (3) disks using the necessary PVSCSI controller. This referenced patch worked for me: https://techdoc.puma-it.systems/dok..._mit_mehr_als_einer_festplatte_nutzbar_machen [from forum https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/error-at-startup-after-adding-lvm-disk.42293/]

Not sure if this is a patch that can be incorporated for future updates // or what the implications are.

/// snip from referenced patch ///

So that you don't have to do this manually after you create the hard drives, you can change this behavior in the file /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm: from

if (!$conf->{scsihw} || ($conf->{scsihw} =~ m/^lsi/)){
$device = "scsi-$devicetype,bus=$controller_prefix$controller.0,scsi-id=$unit,drive=drive-$drive->{interface}$drive->{index},id=$drive->{interface}$drive->{index}";
} else {
$device = "scsi-$devicetype,bus=$controller_prefix$controller.0,channel=0,scsi-id=0,lun=$drive->{index},drive=drive-$drive->{interface}$drive->{index},id=$drive->{interface}$drive->{index}";
}

*To*

if (!$conf->{scsihw} || ($conf->{scsihw} =~ m/^lsi/)){
$device = "scsi-$devicetype,bus=$controller_prefix$controller.0,scsi-id=$unit,drive=drive-$drive->{interface}$drive->{index},id=$drive->{interface}$drive->{index}";
} else {
$device = "scsi-$devicetype,bus=$controller_prefix$controller.0,channel=0,scsi-id=$drive->{index},lun=0,drive=drive-$drive->{interface}$drive->{index},id=$drive->{interface}$drive->{index}";
}

This always leaves the Lun at 0 and sets the ID to the respective hard drive number.

A final step to make it all effective:

systemctl restart pvedaemon.service

/// end of snip ///

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!