KVM Migration results in missing disk image

spriebe

Oct 7, 2011
Best way to create shared storage

Hi,

i'm starting to look at proxmox and installed the 2.0 beta. I made a cluster of two nodes and created two vms.

Actually the disk images of each vm has to be copied to the other node. What is the correct / right way to create a shared storage?

Stefan

Last edited:
Re: Best way to create shared storage

e.g. nfs, iSCSI, FC on a NAS/SAN box.

if you want live migration without NAS/SAN, think of DRBD. pls note, a two node is not optimal (regarding quorum, you will need a quorum disk to get a third vote)

Hi,

i'm starting to look at proxmox and installed the 2.0 beta. I made a cluster of two nodes and created two vms.

Actually the disk images of each vm has to be copied to the other node. What is the correct / right way to create a shared storage?

Stefan
Hi,
you need storage, which is accessible from both nodes:
nfs-mont
SAN (FC/iSCSI)
DRBD

SAN/DRBD supplied an volumegroup (lvm) which used from all nodes (the vm-disks are logical volumes inside the vg).

Udo

Sorry maybe my question was not really good. I meant which way is the best regarding performance and daily usage. If i want to use for example an shared iscsi storage i had to use something like ocfs2 - how does this influence the speed? Or is it generally better to run a dedicated iSCSI storage for every node?

> SAN/DRBD supplied an volumegroup (lvm) which used from all nodes (the vm-disks are logical volumes inside the vg).

Is there an example configuration for this? I still don't get it. I mean when i export sdb via iSCSI alle machines aren't able to mount it as long as the filesystem on sdb isn't cluster aware.

> SAN/DRBD supplied an volumegroup (lvm) which used from all nodes (the vm-disks are logical volumes inside the vg).

Is there an example configuration for this? I still don't get it. I mean when i export sdb via iSCSI alle machines aren't able to mount it as long as the filesystem on sdb isn't cluster aware.
Hi,
there are nothing to mount. You export an iscsi-disk to all pve-nodes (eg. as sdb). Create an partition on the disk (type 8e) and lvm (pvcreate /dev/sdb1; vgcreate -s 4M iscsivg /dev/sdb1). After that add the vg as lvm-storage in the storage-section of the pve-gui (mark the shared button).
Thats it's - no mounting, no filesystem.

Udo

Hi,
there are nothing to mount. You export an iscsi-disk to all pve-nodes (eg. as sdb). Create an partition on the disk (type 8e) and lvm (pvcreate /dev/sdb1; vgcreate -s 4M iscsivg /dev/sdb1). After that add the vg as lvm-storage in the storage-section of the pve-gui (mark the shared button).
Thats it's - no mounting, no filesystem.

Udo

Thanks great - this is working fine! I'm not LVm aware ;-( just used iSCSI and ocfs2 in the past.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!