kvm guests in proxmox VM

sinaowolabi

May 18, 2021
Hi

Im sorry Im not certain if this is the right place to post, but I noticed that a CentOS 8 VM that I was assigned to, is hosted in a Proxmox environment.
I have installed KVM on this CentOS 8 proxmox VM, and intend to create a few KVM guests of my own, on this VM.
Ive noticed that it expects guests to identify as --virt-type qemu during the install.
I created two bridge interfaces and slaved them to the proxmox VM's network interface.
My first KVM guest is a VyOS.
After installation, the KVM guest cannot communicate to the outside world, or with the proxmox VM.
Am I wasting my time, or is there something I have missed during install, either of the proxmox VM, or the KVM installation on it, or on the KVM guest?

Thanks in advance for any advice or assistance.

Where are your guests getting IP addresses from? If you have only one (presumably for the CentOS VM your KVM guest is on) then you will need to use NAT instead of bridging. If you want it accessible from outside you will need either additional IP addresses from your hosting provider or else will need to do port forwarding to the VM.

Sorry I should have stated the Proxmox VM KVM guest has an additional IP on the same subnet as the Proxmox VM.
I am bridging, yes.

Figured it out, it was CentOS 8 Nmcli weirdness happening. Had to write a script to start the bridge slave post-bootup.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!