Kernel 5.11

Didi you have any time to check log files?
I quickly checked them, the network card seems to be detected by both kernels, so that's weird...

1e:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5723 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:165b] (rev 10)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company NC107i Integrated PCI Express Gigabit Server Adapter [103c:705d]
Kernel driver in use: tg3
Kernel modules: tg3
1e:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5723 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:165b] (rev 10)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company NC107i Integrated PCI Express Gigabit Server Adapter [103c:705d]
Kernel driver in use: tg3
Kernel modules: tg3

Do you need anything more?

I was a bit unclear regarding where the first two commands should be executed, so is the output of ip addr posted from the 5.4 or the 5.11 kernel?

Hello

I finally solved this issue.

As you have guessed i am not very good with Linux environment but by comparing ip link and ip addr in both kernels i saw what is already written in various posts and guides that during upgrade there may be a change in interface name.

So i found out the new interface name, changed it in interfaces file and after a reboot it worked alright.

Thank you for all your help!

As you have guessed i am not very good with Linux environment but by comparing ip link and ip addr in both kernels i saw what is already written in various posts and guides that during upgrade there may be a change in interface name.

So i found out the new interface name, changed it in interfaces file and after a reboot it worked alright.
Great to hear that you could solve this and while not ideal it's definitively nicer than hunting down some weird/complex kernel regression.

Thanks so much for publishing this pve-kernel-5.11 package inside the pve 6.4 repos.

This post is just sharing my positive experience on the 5.11 kernel on my pve host.

I was preparing the migration of my host from pve 6 to 7 inside a vm, so a nested setup.
pve 6.4 inside 6.4 was no issue, running great. But after the 6.4 vm upgraded to 7, no vm was able to start inside the 7 vm.
I got these kind of messages:
watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s
rcu: INFO: rcu_sched selft-detected stall on CPU
similar like [1]
After investigating It had nothing to do with pve 7 but only with kernel 5.11 as a nested vm. Reproducible by only installing kernel 5.11 inside the nested pve 6.4 vm.
So I decided to install kernel 5.11 on the host running pve 6.4.
After that the nested setup with also kernel 5.11 runs fine again , so vm's inside de nested instance start as expected.
So far I haven't detected any regressions or additional issues from this kernel upgrade.

Host system cpu: 2*AMD opteron 6262 HE (old, but humming along)

[1] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/watchdog-bug-soft-lockup-after-installing-ve-7.92107/

Reactions: t.lamprecht
Good afternoon.
I'm using PE 6.4 and I'm still getting 5.4 kernel updates, but not for 5.11
It is interesting to know: what is the status of the 5.11 kernel for pve 6.4 now?

Good afternoon.
I'm using PE 6.4 and I'm still getting 5.4 kernel updates, but not for 5.11
It is interesting to know: what is the status of the 5.11 kernel for pve 6.4 now?
PVE 6.4 will be EoL in 4 months and PVE 7.1 is using kernel 5.13 or optionally 5.15. So I would guess you still should get security updates for 4 months for that 5.11 kernel and then better upgrade to PVE 7.X.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!