Kernel 5.11

We just uploaded a 5.11 kernel into our pvetest repository. The 5.4 kernel is still the default on Proxmox VE 6.x series, 5.11 is an option.

How to install:
  • enable the pvetest repository (pvetest is not recommended for production setups)
  • apt install pve-kernel-5.11
  • reboot
Feedback is welcome!
Would it be possible to have overlay and aufs build as modules? I know it's probably not recommended, but I run docker in a container with 5.4 and it works well for me. With the 5.11 kernel, these modules don't appear to be build in a way modprobe can find.

you have right, aufs isn't loaded, i didn't even recognized it, because docker still runs without any issues.
it wouldn't run here for me without aufs.

lsmod should list the kernel modules either. but since it doesn't listen aufs, but it still doesn't work without any issues, i guess it's not possible to include aufs as module anymore.

What i mean is, it is not even a kernel module anymore. So will probably need some kernel code reverts etc... So i don't believe, this is going to be happen.

Or i am totally wrong, and my docker works without aufs... Which would be weird.

It would be really cool if "aufs" is added again, I need it for Docker in the LXC because overlay2 doesn't work on ZFS mounts

The module.lds change seems not that bad after all, just something one must now build explicit which allows some improvements there in the future, especially if architecture-specific.
I'll see if I can massage this into our build system for the next 5.11 on Proxmox VE 6.x build.

FYI, I have some problem with usb disconnet ( keyborrad / mouse ) in the VM with this version of kernel on the host ..

I have enabled the repo test to install the kernel, is it safe to leave it enabled if I do other updates? should i disable it after installing the 5.11 kernel?

Could the 5.11 kernel be overwritten if I do the basic updates?

Last edited:
I have enabled the repo test to install the kernel
The test repository is not required any more, the pve-kernel-5.11 is available on all repositories, including pve-enterprise; as it's always opt-in anyway.

is it safe to leave it enabled if I do other updates? should i disable it after installing the 5.11 kernel?
Please disable the test repo, as else you will pull in all updates from it, and those are really not meant for production (it's the test repo after all).

Could the 5.11 kernel be overwritten if I do the basic updates?
No. But as said, disable the test one, 5.11 updates will also be distributed to pve-enterprise, and after opting in for them you'll automatically get them.

Reactions: Pietro395
The test repository is not required any more, the pve-kernel-5.11 is available on all repositories, including pve-enterprise; as it's always opt-in anyway.

Please disable the test repo, as else you will pull in all updates from it, and those are really not meant for production (it's the test repo after all).

No. But as said, disable the test one, 5.11 updates will also be distributed to pve-enterprise, and after opting in for them you'll automatically get them.
Thank you! I did as you advised

Hi, is there any ETA on the kernel 5.11 based ISO? I am having a hard time installing Proxmox due to missing network drivers (Realtek r8125). The same applies to both Debian 9 and 10. Debian 11 seems to be working well with my network card, but I am not sure if I can install Proxmox on it.

I'm on 5.11, but it looks like apt is prompting me to go back to 5.4. What should I do in this case?

root@pve:~# apt list --upgradable Listing... Done libproxmox-acme-perl/stable 1.1.0 all [upgradable from: 1.0.8] libpve-common-perl/stable 6.4-3 all [upgradable from: 6.4-2] libpve-http-server-perl/stable 3.2-2 all [upgradable from: 3.2-1] proxmox-backup-client/stable 1.1.6-2 amd64 [upgradable from: 1.1.5-1] proxmox-backup-file-restore/stable 1.1.6-2 amd64 [upgradable from: 1.1.5-3] proxmox-widget-toolkit/stable 2.5-4 all [upgradable from: 2.5-3] pve-docs/stable 6.4-2 all [upgradable from: 6.4-1] pve-firmware/stable 3.2-3 all [upgradable from: 3.2-2] pve-headers-5.4/stable 6.4-2 all [upgradable from: 6.4-1] pve-kernel-5.4/stable 6.4-2 all [upgradable from: 6.4-1] pve-kernel-helper/stable 6.4-2 all [upgradable from: 6.4-1] pve-manager/stable 6.4-6 amd64 [upgradable from: 6.4-5]

I'm on 5.11, but it looks like apt is prompting me to go back to 5.4. What should I do in this case?

root@pve:~# apt list --upgradable Listing... Done pve-headers-5.4/stable 6.4-2 all [upgradable from: 6.4-1] pve-kernel-5.4/stable 6.4-2 all [upgradable from: 6.4-1]
It is just informing you on updates for the 5.4 kernel, which is also on your system. It won't change which kernel is used when starting the system.

It is just informing you on updates for the 5.4 kernel, which is also on your system. It won't change which kernel is used when starting the system.
So if I run dist-upgrade, it'll still keep me on 5.11?

Also, if I apt purge the 5.4 kernel, it also wants to remove the proxmox-ve package for some reason.

root@pve:~# apt purge pve-kernel-5.4 Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Don The following packages will be REMOVED proxmox-ve* pve-kernel-5.4 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 11 not upgraded After this operation, 34.8 kB disk space will be freed..*:e

Also, if I apt purge the 5.4 kernel, it also wants to remove the proxmox-ve package for some reason.
As 5.4 kernel is default, you cannot purge this one.

But if you installed pve-kernel-5.11, your system will always boot 5.11.

If we update kernels (5.4 and 5.11), you will get both via apt but your system will always boot 5.11.

Reactions: Rad_00

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!