[SOLVED] Join Cluster Failed: "* this host already contains virtual guests"

jsalas424

Jul 5, 2020
I'm trying to join a new PVE node to an existing cluster. All the machines are on PVE 7.1-8.

When I attempted to join the existing cluster from the GUI's "Assisted join", I get the following error.

Code:
()
detected the following error(s):
* this host already contains virtual guests
TASK ERROR: Check if node may join a cluster failed!

There is 1 VM on the new node and obviously the cluster has many VMs/CTs running.

Thanks in advance for the guidance!

The new host can not have a VM or LXC setup, even shutdown, when it joins a cluster.

if you want to proceed will have to delete that single VM on the unjoined node first. You can backup the VM and save to USB or network disk then restore from backup later or move it to one of the other already joined cluster nodes before deleting, same process backup, move it via network or USB and then restore from backup on the new Proxmox node. Verify it works and proceed.

https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#pvecm_join_node_to_cluster

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!