Issues with Fencing and logs being deleted

ladidadi

Sep 16, 2021
Hello,

We are having issues with one particular server proxmox 6.4 Proliant DL360 GEN9. Cluster fence it then, server goes down, logs being wiped off. Any suggestion how to fix, troubleshoot, its only this server that is having issues, but hardware seems to show no errors?
Much appreciated.

Ladi

I assume the thread belongs the the Proxmox VE forum (you opened it in the mail-gateway forum). - I'll move it accordingly.

Fencing (see https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-ha-manager.html#ha_manager_fencing) means the system is instantly powered-off and not shut-down cleanly (it's like if you pull the power cord(s)). This results in the last couple of lines in the syslog to not get written to disk.

Options to work-around this:
* check the journal and not syslog (PVE tries to sync the journal and it could contain a few lines that are not in the logs)
* configure remote syslogging (via UDP) to an external server - this usually should get you most lines before the fence

I hope this helps!

Reactions: ladidadi

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!