[SOLVED] Issues During Install on Fresh Debian 11

Apr 11, 2022
I am installing Proxmox from the repositories over a fresh Debian bullseye-backports image. I'm using this cloud image daily build:
https://cloud.debian.org/images/cloud/bullseye-backports/daily/latest/

The specific version of the image is: debian-11-backports-genericcloud-amd64-daily.qcow2

I am encountering one single issue during install that I cannot solve. While installing lxc-pve package, the following is happening:

Code:
Setting up lxc-pve (5.0.0-3) ...
apparmor_parser: Unable to replace "/usr/bin/lxc-start".  Profile doesn't conform to protocol
apparmor_parser: Unable to replace "lxc-container-default".  Profile doesn't conform to protocol
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/lxc-monitord.service → /lib/systemd/system/lxc-monitord.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/lxc-net.service → /lib/systemd/system/lxc-net.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/lxc.service → /lib/systemd/system/lxc.service.

How can I correct for those two problems with apparmor_parser?

I also encountered three other of what appeared to be problems, but I have solved them, I think.

The first is this one:

Code:
Setting up swtpm-tools (0.7.1~bpo11+1) ...
Adding group `tss' (GID 119) ...
Done.
Warning: The home dir /var/lib/tpm you specified can't be accessed: No such file or directory
Adding system user `tss' (UID 112) ...
Adding new user `tss' (UID 112) with group `tss' ...
Not creating home directory `/var/lib/tpm'.

According to this post by Proxmox staff, this is cosmetic and can be ignored. I assume that this complaint is that the directory is not found, but the install process does create it correctly. Therefore it can be ignored. Please let me know if I am incorect in my interpretation of this problem.

The last two are both related. The cloud image requires cloud-init for it to boot properly for the first time. After that, it is not needed. There are two package dependency conflicts with Proxmox packages and base system cloud-init packages. Here are the two sections of the install log where this occurs:

Code:
dpkg: ifupdown: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you requested:
cloud-init depends on ifupdown.

(Reading database ... 21599 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing ifupdown (0.8.36+pve2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package ifupdown2.

dpkg: qemu-utils: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you requested:
cloud-image-utils depends on qemu-utils.

(Reading database ... 23021 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing qemu-utils (1:5.2+dfsg-11+deb11u2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package pve-qemu-kvm.

My solution here is to uninstall cloud-init and cloud-image-utils before installing Proxmox:

Bash:
apt-get purge -y cloud-init cloud-image-utils
apt-get autoremove -y
apt-get install -y proxmox-ve

This appears to fix the problem. Let me know if this is the wrong way to fix this issue and what the better way might be.

Last edited:
There are two package dependency conflicts with Proxmox packages and base system cloud-init packages.
But those "conflicts" are automatically solved, aren't they?

As pve-qemu-kvm has a Provides: qemu-system-arm, qemu-system-x86, qemu-utils to tell apt/dpkg that it is a valid replacement for those three packages, so other Debian packages relying on the Debian named qemu-utils package should work and dependencies be satisfied. IOW. isn't dpkg only telling you that there was a possible conflict that it could solve?

Reactions: utkonos
But those "conflicts" are automatically solved, aren't they?

As pve-qemu-kvm has a Provides: qemu-system-arm, qemu-system-x86, qemu-utils to tell apt/dpkg that it is a valid replacement for those three packages, so other Debian packages relying on the Debian named qemu-utils package should work and dependencies be satisfied. IOW. isn't dpkg only telling you that there was a possible conflict that it could solve?
Thanks for the fast reply. I will not remove those two packages and let the install process proceed as it was originally.

Do you have an idea what to do about the first, main problem:

While installing lxc-pve package, the following is happening:

Code:
Setting up lxc-pve (5.0.0-3) ...
apparmor_parser: Unable to replace "/usr/bin/lxc-start".  Profile doesn't conform to protocol
apparmor_parser: Unable to replace "lxc-container-default".  Profile doesn't conform to protocol
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/lxc-monitord.service → /lib/systemd/system/lxc-monitord.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/lxc-net.service → /lib/systemd/system/lxc-net.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/lxc.service → /lib/systemd/system/lxc.service.

How can I correct for those two problems with apparmor_parser?

apparmor_parser: Unable to replace "/usr/bin/lxc-start". Profile doesn't conform to protocol
apparmor_parser: Unable to replace "lxc-container-default". Profile doesn't conform to protocol
This comes from the non-PVE kernel being still booted, while Debian backport got 5.19, so relatively modern kernel, our Ubuntu Derived one often may use have even modern features AppArmor (Ubuntu is basically the upstream of AppArmor) and often also other Kernel compile flags or defaults enabled. Note that the cloud image specific kernel may have additional limitations than a normal Debian one, so that this issue doesn't affect bare-metal Debian installations switching to Proxmox VE.

So I'd recommend installing the pve-kernel meta package first, removing the linux-image-* Debian ones and rebooting before continuing with the rest of the Proxmox VE installation.

This comes from the non-PVE kernel being still booted, while Debian backport got 5.19, so relatively modern kernel, our Ubuntu Derived one often may use have even modern features AppArmor (Ubuntu is basically the upstream of AppArmor) and often also other Kernel compile flags or defaults enabled. Note that the cloud image specific kernel may have additional limitations than a normal Debian one, so that this issue doesn't affect bare-metal Debian installations switching to Proxmox VE.

So I'd recommend installing the pve-kernel meta package first, removing the linux-image-* Debian ones and rebooting before continuing with the rest of the Proxmox VE installation.
I have just tried this, but pve-kernel does not have an installation candidate:

Code:
# apt install pve-kernel
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Package pve-kernel is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
  proxmox-ve

E: Package 'pve-kernel' has no installation candidate

A bit more exploration:

Code:
# apt-cache search pve-kernel
pve-firmware - Binary firmware code for the pve-kernel
pve-kernel-5.10.6-1-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.11.0-1-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.11.12-1-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.11.17-1-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.11.21-1-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.11.22-1-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.11.22-2-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.11.22-3-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.11.22-4-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.11.22-5-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.11.22-6-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.11.22-7-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.11.7-1-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.11 - Latest Proxmox VE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.13.14-1-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.13.18-1-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.13.19-1-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.13.19-2-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.13.19-3-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.13.19-4-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.13.19-5-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.13.19-6-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.13 - Latest Proxmox VE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.15.12-1-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.15.17-1-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.15.19-1-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.15.19-2-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.15.27-1-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.15.30-1-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.15.30-2-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.15.35-1-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.15.35-2-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.15.35-3-pve - Proxmox Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.15.39-1-pve - Proxmox Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.15.39-2-pve - Proxmox Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.15.39-3-pve - Proxmox Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.15.39-4-pve - Proxmox Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.15.5-1-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.15.53-1-pve - Proxmox Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.15.60-1-pve - Proxmox Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.15.60-2-pve - Proxmox Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.15.64-1-pve - Proxmox Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.15.7-1-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.15 - Latest Proxmox VE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.19.7-1-pve - Proxmox Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.19.7-2-pve - Proxmox Kernel Image
pve-kernel-5.19 - Latest Proxmox VE Kernel Image
pve-kernel-helper - Function for various kernel maintenance tasks.
pve-kernel-libc-dev - Linux support headers for userspace development

and

Code:
# apt-cache showpkg pve-kernel
Package: pve-kernel
Versions:

Reverse Depends:
  proxmox-ve,pve-kernel
  proxmox-ve,pve-kernel
  proxmox-ve,pve-kernel
  proxmox-ve,pve-kernel
  proxmox-ve,pve-kernel
  proxmox-ve,pve-kernel
  proxmox-ve,pve-kernel
  proxmox-ve,pve-kernel
Dependencies:
Provides:
Reverse Provides:

Last edited:
I have just tried this, but pve-kernel does not have an installation candidate
Ah yeah proxmox-ve is carrying that dependency now, so try pve-kernel-5.15 (or if you require a newer one than our LTS use our newer opt-in pve-kernel-5.19)

Ah yeah proxmox-ve is carrying that dependency now, so try pve-kernel-5.15 (or if you require a newer one than our LTS use our newer opt-in pve-kernel-5.19)
That's it! Problem solved. Thanks so much. I now have split the install script into two parts with a reboot in the middle. Now there are no problems derived from the wrong kernel.

Code:
apt-get install -y pve-kernel-5.19

Then reboot using the correct line of code in Vagrant:

Code:
config.vm.provision 'shell', reboot: true

Finally, remove the old images and reset grub:

Bash:
apt-get purge -y 'linux-image-*'
update-grub

This removes two kernels: linux-image-5.19.0-0.deb11.2-cloud-amd64 linux-image-cloud-amd64

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!