Issues connecting CIFS drive to ProxMox cluster "error during cfs-locked 'file-storage-cfg' operation: storage 'server-name' is not online (500)"

roomwillow

Apr 4, 2020
Hello,

I have a ProxMox cluster I am trying to attach to an SMB share, the SMB share is hosted on FreeNAS, and is authenticated via active directory, I have tested the share to rule out basic connectivity/permissions issues, from a windows 10 system I am able to connect and authenticate to the SMB share no issues, leading me to believe the problem lies somewhere in ProxMox, the error as follows:

"create storage failed: error during cfs-locked 'file-storage_cfg' operation: storage 'marabel-backup' is not online (500)"

The CIFS config I am attempting (from GUI, via datacenter > storage > add > CIFS):

ID: smb-server-name (administrative name of the SMB server in our org)

server: 11.22.33.444 (IP address of SMB server)

username: pmxbackup@domain.tld (domain user that has been tested and works in windows, has full permission over the share)

password: *password* (domain password has been tested and works in windows with above user)

share: ProxMox Backup (the actual path of the share in windows is \\11.22.33.444\ProxMox Backup)

nodes: all

enable: yes

max-backups: 5

content: disk image

domain: ad.domain.tld

it's worth noting, under domain, the domain controller is accessible from and forest created at ad.domain.tld, but an alternate UPN suffix exists to allow users to authenticate from either username@domain.tld or username@ad.domain.tld, however, the DC is only accessible from ad.domain.tld in the DNS server, not that this should matter as FreeNAS is handling the domain controller communication, regardless, I've tried with domain set to "ad.domain.tld" "domain.tld" and with no domain at all, with username as "domain.tld" "ad.domain.tld" and with no @ in the username at all, they all yield the same result.

suggestions?

Can you get the mount to work if you use smbclient directly?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!