Issue passing through one of two identical disk controllers

Jmrbob300

Nov 2, 2019
I'm attempting to create a Freenas VM by passing through two HBAs. One is a flashed H200 (9211-8i) and one is a used 9200-16e. Only issue is, my boot controller is an identical flashed H200.
I followed the guide for PCI-E passthrough here however when I get to the host configuration step, the IDs for vfio-pci are identical between the two cards. If I passed this option, from what I read here would prevent the system from booting proxmox.

06:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller [0107]: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] [1000:0072] (rev 02)
08:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller [0107]: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] [1000:0072] (rev 02)
0f:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller [0107]: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2116 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Meteor] [1000:0064] (rev 02)

Is there a way around this? Or am I not reading into this right? Would flashing my 9211-8i back to an H200 aid in my issue?

If I passed this option, from what I read here would prevent the system from booting proxmox.

That is only true if you follow the step adding 'options vfio-pci ids=1000:0072' to your modprobe configs. You should be able to simply skip this step, allowing the regular HBA driver to bind to your device, and then start the VM (where the device is specified using it's PCI address, hence no issue).

PVE will try to rebind the device to vfio-pci automatically - make sure you don't mount or otherwise touch the passthrough-HBA's disks on your host system.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!