[SOLVED] Issue installing Proxmox 7 on Dell R720 in UEFI mode.

jtracy

Aug 30, 2018
I am having issues with installing Proxmox 7 on one of my DELL R720. The installation goes fine until it is setting up the bootload and then I get and error on the console:

Failed to write 'LoaderSystemToken' EFI variable: Invalid argument

Searching for this issue give lots of results for arch linux but not during the install phase. Not sure how to proceed with this system.

This install is on a ZFS Raid 1 across 2 disks.

I have attached a screen shot of the console with the error message.

Attachments

• proxmox_install_issue.png
    proxmox_install_issue.png
    686.1 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: aboy
Literally just installed onto an R720 just now without problem, what controller do you have, mine is a 710 mini and installed to RAID1

Mine is is using the 710 mini also but it is flashed to IT mode so there is no hardware raid. I have another R720 with the same setup that the install went just fine with.

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/failed-to-prepare-uefi-boot.94034/#post-409181

#########################################################################################
After the 100 x installation, it finally worked.
I just can't tell you why.

Bios reset to factory default settings.
iDrac controller reset to factory default settings.
Dell lifecycle controller activated (because of the whole switching back and forth of the RAID controllers)
Proxmox installation stick newly created (Linux DD)
All necessary BIOS settings made.

and suddenly it works as if it had never happened, the only difference is that the Dell lifecycle controller is still activated

Hope it helps others who have this problem on Dell 12gen servers.

In conclusion, I can only say that Proxmox v7.0.1 on a Dell R320 and a Perc H710 mini work without problems also runs under UEFI xD
#########################################################################################

I also run 2x Dell R720 servers with Proxmox and they have no problems

Try to update the firmware

https://www.dell.com/support/home/d...n1yw8&oscode=ws8r2&productcode=poweredge-r720

Dell lifecycle controller must be activated

Thanks for that info.

I have 7.0 running on two other identical R720s just fine. It is just this one system that is giving me troubles and I am not sure why. I am not running the stock H710 firmware on the controller but have flashed it with an "IT mode" firmware. I might go through the flashing process again to see if anything went wrong.

I follow this guide without troubles.
https://fohdeesha.com/docs/perc/

Don't forget

Also in the server BIOS settings, under Integrated Devices, ensure both SR-IOV Global Enable and I/OAT DMA Engine are disabled

Before flash to IT-Mode and remove the battery

Last edited:
That is the same guide I have been following too.

I do have both those settings disabled, but I did forget to disconnect the battery.

Let me revert and try again.

So after reflashing the firmware it seems to be working correctly. WIll be doing some more testing to be sure.

Reactions: aboy
Sorry that I'm so late in reporting.

You no longer need the battery after the flash, the battery is only required for the cache functions but is not available in the IT mod.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!