iscsitarget and iscsitarget-dkms install broken

samontetro

Jun 19, 2012
Grenoble, France
Using Proxmox 4.2 whith kernel:
# uname -a
Linux proxmost1 4.4.16-1-pve #1 SMP Wed Aug 31 15:14:37 CEST 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux

trying to install iscsitarget and iscsitarget-dkms fails with:

# apt-get install iscsitarget iscsitarget-dkms
Building module:
cleaning build area....
make KERNELRELEASE=4.4.16-1-pve -C /lib/modules/4.4.16-1-pve/build M=/var/lib/dkms/iscsitarget/1.4.20.3+svn502/build....(bad exit status: 2)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.4.16-1-pve (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/iscsitarget/1.4.20.3+svn502/build/make.log for more information.
Errors were encountered while processing:
iscsitarget

Error in make.log is:

/var/lib/dkms/iscsitarget/1.4.20.3+svn502/build/kernel/iscsi.c: In function ‘cmnd_skip_pdu’:
/var/lib/dkms/iscsitarget/1.4.20.3+svn502/build/kernel/iscsi.c:492:16: error: ‘struct msghdr’ has no member named ‘msg_iov’
conn->read_msg.msg_iov = conn->read_iov;
^
/var/lib/dkms/iscsitarget/1.4.20.3+svn502/build/kernel/iscsi.c:493:16: error: ‘struct msghdr’ has no member named ‘msg_iovlen’
conn->read_msg.msg_iovlen = ++i;

...etc

Seams to be an old (solved ?) bug in ubuntu:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/iscsitarget/+bug/1483415

Any suggestion welcome to build iscsi kernel module.

Thanks

Patrick

you will need to get newer module sources (compatible with 4.4.x) - the kernel in jessie is 3.16 based, and it seems that the iscsitarget-dkms package from jessie contains module sources that don't compile with newer kernels.

Is there a tutorial on how to do this ? I'm not familiar with debian packaging, mainly using rpm packaging.
My install of freshly dowloaded iscsitarget-dkms packages on the net have all failed until now...

Will I have the same problem with drbd ?

I'm trying to set up a test HA proxmox cluster with 2 nodes following your tutorial and "Proxmox High Availability" book (a little bit outdated...).
I need to evaluate how to replace an old RedHat drbd+mon+heartbeat local solution.

Patrick

As I recall, back on the 3.10 kernel i had to apply a patch to the source to get it to build, I'll put it on my list of things to write up. zfs over iscsi is nice when it works.

As I recall, back on the 3.10 kernel i had to apply a patch to the source to get it to build, I'll put it on my list of things to write up. zfs over iscsi is nice when it works.
You don't need the iscsitarget package to have zfs over iscsi to work in proxmox since proxmox uses libiscsi. The iscsitarget package is only needed if you want to use iscsi outside proxmox.

It was following the prodedure detailed in "Proxmox High Availability" book from Simon M.C. Cheng but this book I've just baught seams outdated!

I've a similar problem I think with drbd on proxmox: aptitude installs drbd-utils 8.9.7-1 on this 4.2 proxmox release but when drbd is started, the /proc/drbd file says we are using drbd 9.0.3-1 as the kernel module....

Is there a way to have aptitude or apt-get installing software in agreement with proxmox kernel version ?

Or have I missed something ?

Patrick

for drbd, this is correct (8.9.x is the current drbd-utils release, compatible with drbd9). all of those packages are built and distributed by proxmox. note that drbd9 is still a technology preview in proxmox ve 4!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!