ISCSI as a shared drive to deploy templates from

riaanp

Jun 15, 2022
Good Day,

I have added a remote ISCSI share from a starwind vsan. Setup was flawless and I can see the drive and space assigned. I also kinda already know the answer (been testing it) but would like a official confirmation from anyone in case I am doing it wrong.

Is it possible to use a ISCSI share to deploy templates from? I have 3 nodes and all 3 nodes can see the storage. But so far I am unable to even move my template to that storage (unless it was built and run from that share).

iSCSI device is a raw block device. It has no awareness of data that is being placed on it or how users are accessing that data.

Unlike NFS or other file sharing protocols, iSCSI has no arbitration smarts to allow hosts multi-write or even appropriate multi-read functionality. You cant store files directly on raw block. It needs a file system layer in between. Specifically in this case a Cluster Aware Filesystem: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clustered_file_system.

Its file system job to properly update the metadata and manage the cache on each client to ensure that other clients have safe access.

In summary - find a suitable cluster filesystem that you feel you can setup and manage, install and configure it on each node.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

@bbgeek17 note i wont be running VM's from this share. Just deploying VM templates (because it is shared amongst all the nodes). Does not look like i can. ISCSI share is currently formated as a LVM share. I guess I just have to replicate the VM 3 x times to every node as an alternative.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!