[SOLVED] Is possible Reinstall PBS and Recover all BackUPs?

AlfredoF

Jun 3, 2021
I made a very bad mistake, execute rm ./* in the root path / of the PBS server (version 2.0) and OS disappeared. If reinstall PBS on the same server, Is possible to recover all the backups in the ZFS local datastore?

Reactions: Xeata_James
that depends how far the rm got before you stopped it, and whether the datastore and '/' share a disk/pool. you might want to look into ZFS recovery first after taking a full backup of all your disks.

OK, thanks. The OS can not boot, so I think I'll reinstall and will lost old backups, is not so critical. Anyway I think I will need a backup policy for the backup server.

Thanks a Best Regards
Alfredo

Reactions: Xeata_James
I've imported "zpool import -f backupds1" and it seemes that all backups are there, now how can add this datastore? How can I rebuild the backup configuration from there?

Try to add datastore, but get an error:

proxmox-backup-manager disk zpool list
┌───────────┬────────────────┬────────┬────────┐
│ name │ size │ alloc │ health │
╞═══════════╪════════════════╪════════╪════════╡
│ backupds1 │ 24000277250048 │ 0.14 % │ ONLINE │
└───────────┴────────────────┴────────┴────────┘

proxmox-backup-manager datastore create backupds1 /mnt/datastore/backupds1

proxmox-backup-manager datastore create backupds1 /mnt/datastore/backupds1
TASK ERROR: unable to create chunk store 'backupds1' subdir "/mnt/datastore/backupds1/.chunks" - EEXIST: File exists

ls -al /mnt/datastore/backupds1
total 16495
drwxr-xr-x 4 backup backup 6 Aug 12 03:04 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Aug 13 09:11 ..
drwxr-x--- 65538 backup backup 65538 May 27 12:57 .chunks
-rw-r--r-- 1 backup backup 332 Aug 12 03:04 .gc-status
-rw-r--r-- 1 backup backup 0 May 27 12:57 .lock
drwxr-xr-x 33 backup backup 33 Jun 11 02:17 vm

Just adding a comment; I found this thread afraid of exactly AlfredoF experience.

II really wish there were a way to backup my PBS to disk, or to treat the store as a NAS and back that up using a whole range of tools (Datto, Synology etc.) and store offsite.
Doing a PBS->PBS sync will only perpetuate data problems. We need a distinct "2nd copy" backup. Me, I'd like to use DATTO NAS or TRUENAS for that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!