Is it safe to use logbias=throughput on root disk?

chrone

Apr 15, 2015
planet earth
Hi Proxmoxers,

I've been using ZFS mirror rpool on HDDs with ZFS ZVOL on rpool/data. Based on recommendation from open-zfs for Innodb and Postgresql volume, I found out using logbias=throughput increase the synchronous write performance significantly thanks to less double write.

Is it safe to set logbias=throughput on root disk (rpool/ROOT/pve-1)? It's not bad like using sync=disabled, right?

Reference:
http://open-zfs.org/wiki/Performance_tuning

Last edited:
Hi Proxmoxers,

I've been using ZFS mirror rpool on HDDs with ZFS ZVOL on rpool/data. Based on recommendation from open-zfs for Innodb and Postgresql volume, I found out using logbias=throughput increase the synchronous write performance significantly thanks to less double write.

Is it safe to set logbias=throughput on root disk (rpool/ROOT/pve-1)? It's not bad like using sync=disabled, right?

Reference:
http://open-zfs.org/wiki/Performance_tuning

logbias should not affect consistency. it might affect performance (one way or another) though, depending on the I/O workload and pool setup.

Reactions: chrone
logbias should not affect consistency. it might affect performance (one way or another) though, depending on the I/O workload and pool setup.

Awesome! Thanks for the confirmation.

Enterprise SSD in my country is very expensive and we often end up using spinning disks without any SLOG devices. With logbias=throughput, the ZFS filesystem and volume synchronous write performance throughput increase a lot, almost similar to other filesystem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!