[SOLVED] Is it possible to compile pve-kernel without the ZFS module?

dude20

May 3, 2020
Hello.
I've been using ProxMox compiled from source for a while now, and wanted to know if it is possible to compile pve-kernel without ZFS on Linux.
That is, completely remove ZoL from the compilation process, and use the native/default file system solution instead.

I'm asking because I've tried to do it manually, by editing the main Makefile as well as debian/rules, but I keep getting errors.

Thus, my questions are:
1. Is it possible to compile ProxMox without the ZFS module? Can it be done?
2. What are the implications of compiling ProxMox without ZFS support?
3. If it can be done, what changes are needed to compile it correctly?

Thank you very much for your time

Last edited:
Why would you want to do that ?

As zfs comes as kernel module, you can simply blacklist it from loading.

I understand that it is possible to blacklist it from loading; I'm looking for something stronger- I want to compile pve-kernel without ZoL at all.
I'm currently using a custom kernel that is incompatible with ZFS, and focused my efforts on trying to remove it in the compilation stage.

I understand that it is possible to blacklist it from loading; I'm looking for something stronger- I want to compile pve-kernel without ZoL at all.
I'm currently using a custom kernel that is incompatible with ZFS, and focused my efforts on trying to remove it in the compilation stage.
That is still no answer to @H4R0's question and I wanted to know the same thing. What you want to achieve does not make any sense besides "you want to".

That is still no answer to @H4R0's question and I wanted to know the same thing. What you want to achieve does not make any sense besides "you want to".
I don't believe that the specific means for my actions are of importance in this case. Had they were, I'd have stated them.
This question addresses ProxMox's compilation process, not my wording choice. Your answer does not provide any useful information whatsoever.

Overall, I have succeeded in my mission. It is indeed possible. If someone from the future is interested in this issue - just delete every line that uses ZoL in the main Makefile and in debian/rules. Lots of luck!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!