[SOLVED] IPVS load ballancer can not establish TCP connection across two cluster nodes

aasami

Renowned Member
Mar 9, 2016
Hi,
I have an IPVS direct routing Load Ballancer VM (LB) which works only when the target Backend VM (e.g. B1) is on the same cluster node.
If LB is on different node than Backend (B1), TCP connection between Client (CL) and Backend (B1) can not be established.

Code:
CL sends SYN packet to LB and LB passes it to B1.
B1 sends SYN-ACK to CL.
CL responds to LB with ACK, but this packet never arrives to LB.

When I turn off Datacenter/Cluster firewall off it works across nodes too.
I suppose ebtables might be the cause but don't know how to deal with this.

Is there a way I can use proxmox firewall and have working IPVS with direct routing mode at the same time?
With several Backend VMs it obviously doesn't make sense to have them all on one node.
Thank you anybody for some help/insight.

When noone replied, I have posted a ticket to the customer portal and here is the solution:

Enable invalid packets with nf_conntrack_allow_invalid on all cluster nodes in /etc/pve/nodes/$NODE_NAME/host.fw:

Code:
[OPTIONS]

nf_conntrack_allow_invalid: 1

Thank you Proxmox for your superb support!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!