Internal NIC stopped working with Proxmox

borisko

Jun 25, 2019
My on-board NIC stopped randomly working and I am completely stuck.

Upon booting, leds on the nic cable appear fine then disappear as soon as Proxmox has booted.
Tested by booting on an old hard drive that had windows installed, internal nic works fine and cables too (I had internet connection only after adding drivers for the internal NIC however).

I have a second Intel NIC installed on a pci slot, tried with no cables on either internal one and PCI one and neither work. Proxmox server does not appear on the list of devices on my router either (but was appearing fine with correct IP while I booted using the windows hard drive) like it was before, it is as if Promox just ignores completely the NIC is even there. I have thus no way of connecting remotely to it to edit config via SSH or the web gui.

I dont know how i can output any kind of command since I dont have remote access to web gui or command line. I do have physical access to the server (keyboard and screen connected to it) but the console doesn’t seem to accept any command input? Please help i am very new to this and IT guy isnt available for 2 more weeks.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
What do you mean the console doesn't accept any input? How would you want to solve the issue without access to the machine?

I am unsure indeed if I just forgot a step, I am so tired.... Here is what I meant, tried a simple qm start 103 but nothing happens.

Attachments

• received_447136843026928.jpeg
    received_447136843026928.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 9
Note that this is performed on the physical machine as I have currently no way in my knowledge to connect to it directly thru SSH or gui. The photo provided if from the console when plugging a screen to on-board hdmi. Is what I am doing not even possible on proxmox? I remembered being able to launch commands there before.

It looks like there's a problem with the storage of that server. There's a "PANIC" error about a "VDEV" and "INFO:" messages about a "zpool" task that is blocked. So it seems that there's a problem with a ZFS pool that prevent the server from booting. Maybe there's a problem with one of the drives (or the drives cables, or the related storage controller). I would look into that in your place.

By the way, you cannot input any commands because the server never finished booting and is currently stuck in its boot sequence. Look at the top of your picture, you can see the line "Reading all physical volumes. [...]", a Proxmox server always shows this message during its boot sequence.

I suppose the NIC is fine, you've just came to an erroneous conclusion. You don't have any lights on the NIC because the server isn't finishing it's boot sequence and so it's not loading the network drivers and isn't enabling the NIC. Since the server is not finishing its boot sequence you also can't access the command shell.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!