Intermittant networking between reboots with opnsense VM and PCI nic pass-through

Dieter Toews

Feb 20, 2017
Hi all,

I've read that nic pass-though is the most secure way to virtualize a router/firewall. I followed this guide on the great proxmox wiki and was able to pass-thought a 4 port intel nic to a vm running opnsense (dell v pro 1000). It all works - in fact I'm typing up this post "through" the firewall right now!

The problem is this: When i reboot the opnsense vm networking randomly doesn't work. The boot sequence shows the machine finding the NICs and setting there state to "up" but sometimes the lan interface is un-pingable and the wan interface doesn't receive an ip though dhcp from my isp.

Could this be a host problem or a guest problem? I'm not even sure where to start googleing on this problem... i'll cross post this to the opnsense forum in-case it is a guest problem. Does anybody out their have any host side ideas about what could be causing this?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!