[SOLVED] Interface name changed from enp2s0 to eth0 after update from 7.3.-4 to 7.4-3 / reboot

Jan 18, 2023
Southwest Florida
After
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

Did the following to get things rolling again, just posting this in case someone else runs into the same.

If I should have done something differently, please let me know!

Solution: In file: /etc/network/interfaces, changed two lines where enps0 was referenced, and restarted networking

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# iface enp2s0 inet manual
iface eth0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.6/24
gateway 192.168.1.3
# bridge-ports enp2s0
bridge-ports eth0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

Hi,
this should not happen, unless you have some udev rule to rename the interface. Please check the content of cat /etc/udev/rules.d/* and the output of dmesg | grep eth0. Since this got deprecated with Debian 11 bullseye [0], you might want to check /etc/systemd/network for persistent link files.

The changes you made are fine, as long as the NIC gets not renamed again.

[0] https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkInterfaceNames#THE_.22PERSISTENT_NAMES.22_SCHEME

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Chris. This is about the most vanilla Proxmox install possible, I've made zero OS level changes other than fixing the problem this morning. Nothing but a 50-wake-on-lan.link file in /etc/systemd/network.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!