Intel Pro/1000 install not working (I know it's been discussed)

Sergeant82d

Jul 4, 2022
Hey all - I found this thread:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/intel-pro-1000-pt-quad-network-controller-not-working.94302/

which is basically exactly my problem. I'm working (home, lab, funsies...) with an Avanti (Value-Added Retailer/custom server assembler) 2U server, Asus z10pr-d16 motherboard, E5-2683 v4 Xeon, 256 GB of Hynix LRDDR4 RAM, 12x 4GB WD drives, 2x 240GB Kingston SSD's for the OS, and a Samsung 512GB NVME drive for cache. I need more ports for my VM's, especially since one (of the two) on-board ports is inop due to some cracked traces to the second (also inop) CPU... My nephew gave it to me, so I'm not complaining...

Anyway - my first problem as I see it, is from the bottom of the above-linked post - installing the pve-headers file. I have it downloaded from the link posted, as well as the latest Intel drivers for the NIC (also linked in the above post). I had to install make in ProxMox, but it gives an "headers not in the expected location" error:

root@Avanti:/intel-nic/igb-5.11.4/src# make
common.mk:82: *** Kernel header files not in any of the expected locations.
common.mk:83: *** Install the appropriate kernel development package, e.g.
common.mk:84: *** kernel-devel, for building kernel modules and try again. Stop.

Looking in the common.mk file included with the Intel source files, that is looking in the /lib/modules directory, where I have two different directory options:

5.11.22-3-pve 5.15.30-2-pve

each of which has a dozen-odd files, so I just don't know what the makefile is looking for in order to move/copy/etc. it appropriately.

I also looked for the kernel-devel package with no luck.

FWIW, the mobo bios does recognize the nic, but it also shuts down the on-board nic - as well as the Pro/1000 - whenever it is installed. I can set the links up and assign addresses to the ports, and I can talk to those ports until I reboot the machine. But I can't talk to the onboard NIC at all when the PCIE card is installed. On another, related note - the NIC shows up typically on PCI bus 5 & 7 (onboard is on 6)... but now that I have the NVME drive installed, IT is showing up on bus 5, and the Intel only provides the two bus 7 ports to ip addr queries.... but all four ports are still shown in the bios.

I'm not a total newb to Linux, but between PVE and it's base OS, I'm out of my depth here. Any help gladly aprreciated.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!