Intel 350 NIC No Longer Supported?

OverseersMight

Aug 26, 2023
I was unable to see any of the 4 ethernet ports I have (eno1-4) using `ip link show` after upgrading to Proxmox 8. When choosing to boot from the earlier kernel, it immediately shows up. Is my NIC no longer supported?

Included in this category because it is a kernel-level issue.

Thank y'all for any and all help.

Here my Intel i350-t4v1 is still working fine with the 6.2 kernel of my PVE8. Did you verify that you don't bought one of the countless fakes on the used market?

Last edited:
@Dunuin
I bought the whole server, not a single NIC. How would I go about verifying this, and why would it be that it pops up on the earlier kernel version, but not 8?

How would I go about verifying this
My intel NIC got a holographic sticker with a code on it I could enter in a website to get more information about the NIC.
and why would it be that it pops up on the earlier kernel version, but not 8?
I don't know if these fake i350 actually use real refurbished Intel chips or if the chips are fakes too emulating a intel chip. In the latter case I wouldn't wonder if something would stop working when using the 6.2 kernel of PVE8 instead of the 5.15 Kernel of PVE 7 especially as the intel drivers are port of that kernel so other drivers might be used.

@LnxBil
I’m unable to copy and paste as i’m using IPMI. Please let me know if you want any specific sections.

Attachments

• IMG_2353.jpeg
    IMG_2353.jpeg
    482.4 KB · Views: 19
Have you tried pcie passtrough? Have you tried upgrading the bios on the i350? Bar errors are not so common, yet they happen.

I also have the same issue. Newly aquired Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+. Onboard quad i350 works just fine on v7.4, Debian 12, Ubuntu, Mint, Window$, etc. When I upgrade to v8, I can see the NIC in BIOS and with lspci but it seems drivers won't load, or they are missing. I get the same results when installing v8 from scratch instead of upgrading from v7. Seems like a v8 kernel issuue. According to lspci, the kernel driver (igb) is loading for the i350 under v7.4, but not under v8. If i install my 4 port pro1000, it works just fine under either version using, you guessed it, the igb kernel driver. This seems to be an i350 specific issue, especially considering BIOS uses the pro1000 driver for the i350. BIOS and BMC are up to date. I haven't been able to find any firmware updates for the NIC.

'dmesg' and 'lspci -s 09:00 -nnv' for both versions attached. Captured from console to usb drive.

I'm not new to linux, just new to homelabbing, and there is still a lot I don't know. Is there a way to load the v7 driver?

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• dmesg_v7.txt
    104.3 KB · Views: 2
  • lspci-nnv_v7.txt
    4 KB · Views: 0
  • dmesg_v8.txt
    106 KB · Views: 1
  • lspci-nnv_v8.txt
    3.8 KB · Views: 0
You could try booting your Proxmox host with the additional Kernel parameter "pci=realloc" added. Just to see if it is a resource issue, that the Kernel itself can work around.

You could try booting your Proxmox host with the additional Kernel parameter "pci=realloc" added. Just to see if it is a resource issue, that the Kernel itself can work around.
No go.

I have now tried building the driver from intel source (August '23 release) using the current pve headers as well without luck...unless I'm not implementing the driver correctly. I followed the instructions in the readme included with the source.

I knew someone would eventually have the same issue. I've had no new luck and have just stuck to the latest 7 version until someone else had this issue. I'll be following this thread and I'll give any extra input whenever I can.

Reactions: ghoudidu

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!