Installing "Workstation" on CentOS 8 and rebooting "firewalls" my LXC container

I assume the group "Workstation" is not really the best selection for a LXC container.

If you need this, better go for a qemu VM.

And/Or check logs inside inside your CentOS to debug your issue further, I doubt that is a "bug" on Proxmox VE.

I assume the group "Workstation" is not really the best selection for a LXC container.

Why? The purpose of this host is to provide me a desktop I can access from anywhere. It's actually working very well (using xrdp + xorgxrdp) and it's very fast and lightweight because LXC containers are faster and lighter than VMs.

I do suspect that Workstation is pulling some stuff that doesn't make sense on a container (it does pull a kernel which is going to be unused), and I'm happy to find which package is causing trouble and pulling it out.

And/Or check logs inside inside your CentOS to debug your issue further, I doubt that is a "bug" on Proxmox VE.

Doubt that this is going to work because I can connect to daemons from *within* the host (using it's IP, not using loopback), so it seems that the host is "unaware" of the problem.

I suspect Proxmox has some "magic" for tcp:22 and it's probably interacting with my issue in some way.

The other odd thing is:

Code:
$ telnet 10.42.42.75 22
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_8.0
$ telnet localhost 3389
Trying ::1...
telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
[alex@ws ~]$ telnet 10.42.42.75 3389
Trying 10.42.42.75...
Connected to 10.42.42.75.

; tcp:3389 prompts an IPv6 message on loopback, but that doesn't happen if not using loopback or if doing tcp:22...

Why? The purpose of this host is to provide me a desktop I can access from anywhere. It's actually working very well (using xrdp + xorgxrdp) and it's very fast and lightweight because LXC containers are faster and lighter than VMs.

Because the metapackage install countless packages which are totally useless and not working inside a container. Just think of the kernel ...

BTW, I just tried the same and the logs/journal is full with warnings and errors (due to the issue from above).

But the httpd is still working. There is no Proxmox VE "magic" here.

Well, I've narrowed it down to "Core", which is also not great, but should help. I'll try to narrow it down...

Installing the group "Gnome" seems to pull in everything I want, so for the moment I'll do that and skip the problematic "Core".

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!