Installing Proxmox with raid 10

CorentinFR

Jan 23, 2018
Hi, i'm a french student, and to complete my year, i have to setup proxmox on a fujitsu RX1330 with 4x500 Go in RAID 10.
First i'm going into lsi raid manager, configuring the raid 10 without any issues.
Then, on a bootable usb stick with Proxmox 5.1.3 (done with Etcher), i'm setting up proxmox.
The installation complete, asking me to relaunch the server and connect to the attribuate
First, Proxmox doesn't recognize raid, it find my 4 disks.
After installing it on one disk, the raid status is "Degraded", and, find no bootable file.
Will update tomorow with screenshots if needed.
Thanks for help

Proxmox VE does not support "fake raid" controller.
Instead, just configure the controller WITHOUT setting up raid (just present all 4 disks as normal disks) and use ZFS instead, e.g Raid 10.

See https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS_on_Linux

ZFS is much more powerful compared to normal raid controllers. More data security, more features, e.g. snapshots.

Proxmox VE does not support "fake raid" controller.
Instead, just configure the controller WITHOUT setting up raid (just present all 4 disks as normal disks) and use ZFS instead, e.g Raid 10.

See https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS_on_Linux

ZFS is much more powerful compared to normal raid controllers. More data security, more features, e.g. snapshots.

Then if I go with ZFS created from proxmox or at proxmox level (Debian), what is the optimal way to present the storage in ZFS to a VM with NextCloud? is NFS an optimal way? or proxmox can present Storage directly to a VM as a device? how?
Or the NextCloud VM should already have all the space I plan to use 2, 3 TB?

If you install with ZFS, the ZFS storage plugin is already configured and you can create your VM using the ZFS plugin for the virtual disk.

See also:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage

If you install with ZFS, the ZFS storage plugin is already configured and you can create your VM using the ZFS plugin for the virtual disk.

See also:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage
Thanks for the time you take to answer.
So you are proposing to create de VM inside the ZFS and assing all the space I need for "my data" and NextCloud to that VM. But what if I want to access to "my data" from another VM in a native way not though NFS or another network protocol?

It is possible to create a ZFS volume for "my data" and expose it to 2 VM installed out of the ZFS (in the ssd) so I can access to the files in my data from both VM at the same time?

I mean I can easily attached virtual disks to VM in VirtualBox I was wondering if I can do the same in proxmox and attached the entire ZFS to a VM

Thanks for the time you take to answer.
So you are proposing to create de VM inside the ZFS and assing all the space I need for "my data" and NextCloud to that VM. But what if I want to access to "my data" from another VM in a native way not though NFS or another network protocol?

It is possible to create a ZFS volume for "my data" and expose it to 2 VM installed out of the ZFS (in the ssd) so I can access to the files in my data from both VM at the same time?

No, you cannot share this zfs disk.

I mean I can easily attached virtual disks to VM in VirtualBox I was wondering if I can do the same in proxmox and attached the entire ZFS to a VM

You can assign the available storage very flexible, so you can assign also 100 % to just one VM.

Hello corantin,

It seems that you miss, a lot about how virtualization and storage work together in proxmox.
Thing are more simple than what you might think. I just need to read the documentation one more time.

A+

You can work with LX(C) containers and bind-mount the same ZFS filesystem to multiple VMs, yet be aware of the locking issues in concurrent access.

Hi,

You must understand that zfs is a storage volume manager, and NOT a cluster/network file system. Think like a iscsi ... at any moment a iscsi target can only be use by only one client.

If you want some kind of share storage (on top of zfs), you can use a nfs server, who can be accessed by many clients(VMs or CTs) in a concurrent mode.

You must understand that zfs is a storage volume manager, and NOT a cluster/network file system. Think like a iscsi ... at any moment a iscsi target can only be use by only one client.

I know what you want to say, but this is strictly speaking neither true for iSCSI nor for ZFS. You can use both with a cluster aware filesystem or else on top. For ZFS you have ZFS filesystem as a file storage, which can be bind-mounted to different containers accessing the data like it was mounted with NFS (without locking) and you can attach a ZFS volume (ZVOL) as a block storage to multiple VMs like you would mount iSCSI LUNs on different server for e.g. for PVE.

For ZFS you have ZFS filesystem as a file storage, which can be bind-mounted to different containers accessing the data like it was mounted with NFS (without locking) and you can attach a ZFS volume (ZVOL) as a block storage to multiple VMs like you would mount iSCSI LUNs on different server for e.g. for PVE.
If you can do something(because is possible) this do not mean that you are safe! Any cluster/network-fs aware need a kind of locking sistem to be safe for usage(like nfs, samba, glusterfs, and so on)! What is happen when 2 diiferent VM will write to the same file at the same time?

Hi, i'm coming with news
Yesterday i've try your answer tom, to install directly on a raid setting zfs in proxmox instead of lsi software.
That didn't work, still got the same messages, but i can't post screenshots because i'm a new user :/

Hi.
So i totally changed of way to install Proxmox.
I've set up a debian 9.3, and following the official wiki to install proxmox on debian
At the step "apt update && apt dist-upgrade" i have a notification : "The repository "http://dowload.proxmox.com/debian/pve strech release" does not have a Release file."

Hi.
I've set up a debian 9.3, and following the official wiki to install proxmox on debian
At the step "apt update && apt dist-upgrade" i have a notification : "The repository "http://dowload.proxmox.com/debian/pve strech release" does not have a Release file."

The notification tells you that you have the pve-enterprise repository configured in your sources.list.d but you missed to upload an enterprise support key.

edit:
I misread your post.

did you installed the Proxmox VE repository key correctly? (see wiki)

Hi.

you have a typo: it should be "stretch", not "strech"

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!