Installing proxmox on Hetzner dedi with pfsense

kianw05

Nov 14, 2022
Hi!
I'm fairly new to using proxmox and am wanting to use my hetzner dedi to run some VMs on. I only have 1 external IP and am wanting to setup pfsense for port forwarding etc but cannot figure out how to do so. When I used hetzner's script, a vmbr0 adapter wasn't made for me so I'll also need assistance to properly set this up.

If anyone would be willing to walk me through this I'd be forever grateful.

Thanks
Kian

There are several ways to achieve this. I would assign to the physical NIC the IP get from the provider, the create bridge vmbr0 (usually it exists already after installation and has a physical NIC as port, should be removed) and vmbr1, both without physical NIC as port. pfsense VM has a port at vmbr0 for communication with external network and ons at vmbr1 for communication with other VMs (and maybe with hist too). Then forward all incoming traffic to pfsense VM via vmbr0 and it will decide then where distribute packets too via port at vmbr1 (e.g. to other VMs or host). Depending on your applications pfsense will decide based on IP ports what to do. Note that is always requested to have access to host via port 22 (ssh) and 8006 (WEB-GUI).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!