installation on debian squeeze with root luks encryption fails

proxbeppo

May 11, 2010
pong.ch
Hi all

I'm trying to install proxmox ve 2.1 on top of a debian squeeze with full disk encryption (luks).
I followed this Howto on the wiki: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Squeeze .
When I do the "aptitude full-upgrade" it installs 3 packages, dmsetup, libdevmapper1.02.1 and lvm2. After the installation of these packages I can't boot anymore. After loading the initramfs first the md devices are successfully detected (I'm using a software raid 1). Next it looks for the root_vg, which it can't find, because it is in a luks container.
Before the installation of these 3 packages it would after detection of the raid ask for the luks passphrase and them continue with lvm.
What must happen when the 3 packages are installed, is that the order of execution in the initramfs gets changed (propaply with good reason!). Could anybody help how I could p.ex. get luks started even before?

Thanks for any help
Beat

I reported the same issue a few months ago. Only solution I found was to downgrade the three packages you mentioned.

I thought that the problem might be fixed after almost half a year, but I was wrong. "aptitude full-upgrade" made my fully encrypted test machine unbootable. And it got even worse: Again I had to fix the booting issue by downgrading dmsetup, libdevmapper1.02.1 and lvm2. But after that I was unable to start or stap any virtual machine. The virtual machines just hang somewhere in undefined und uncontrollable state.

It seems that Proxmox does not work with full system encryption at all. And unfortunately no one of the developers seems to care or even removes the wiki guide about full disk encryption.

yes, disk encryption is not a feature of proxmox ve. was never a supported feature.

if you think there is something wrong in the wiki, correct it. everybody can get access.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!