Install PVE 4.2 over IPMI fails due to graphic mode

alexc

Renowned Member
Apr 13, 2015
I used to install various versions (since 1.8) of PVE over IPMI to number of servers and everything was fine every time I need that. But this time I need to install PVE 4.2 to some a bit outdated server over IPMI.

The problem is that IPMI won't show me the some graphics mode that PVE install .iso uses. That is, I can easily see BIOS screen, initial PVE menu (that is, where "Install" and "Install (Debug)" are), but as I choose Install, the next graphics screen is completely black to me and I can't d anything.

The server is far away from me, and the datacenter can't help with the hardware, they suggest the problem in IPMI incompatible with the graphics mode that IPMI uses.

So my question is if I can run the installer in some other graphic mode or, better, in plain text mode? There are only a few questions to answer during the install process and I hope it is possible to answer it somehow in text mode.

Thank you in advance!

Hmm, I think only options you have right now is to install from PVE 4.1 ISO and upgrade to 4.2 once installation is done or do a clean Debian Jessie install and then install PVE.

If I look at other topics the last days there seems to be some issues with the new PVE 4.2 ISO and Dell and HP hardware.

Oh, I haven't told that, I tried to boot from 4.1 iso and got the same result :( The machine is Supermicro one, not Dell/HP.

Ah ok. Can you try to start a graphical install of Debian Jessie 8.4.0 via IPMI? To check if the problem is with Debian or with PVE only.

Just to be sure: PVE 4.0 also not working and 3.4 is working OK?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!