Install PBS on running PVE host

Kenneth_H

Feb 28, 2017
Hi
I manage a smaller PVE setup of 5 hosts (3 hosts running VMs and 2 to store backups and restore to when needing to extract data).
PBS is really great news as we run backup for 20-22 hours every day and push close to 10TB of data every day.
We are currently looking into PBS on the two backup nodes, but we are wondering if PBS can be installed alongside PVE on the same node or if we would need to remove the backup-nodes from the cluster and reformat to run on PBS.

Hi Kenneth,

I see your point... but I don't think putting PBS on a PVE Node does make too much sense right now.

First, scalability will be impaired. You only run PBS on one node - the others will just feed that node.
This could lead to a bottleneck.

Second... I don't think it is a good idea to store backups on the same physical system as live-data.

If you absolutely need to: Run PBS in a VM (but for safeties sake use a different storage, i.e. using NFS).

Just my 2.5 cents, though.

Tobias

we are wondering if PBS can be installed alongside PVE on the same node

We do not recommend this kind of setup, but yes, you can install with apt on your existing Proxmox VE host.

> apt install proxmox-backup-server

(you need to configure the pbs repo first).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!