[SOLVED] Infinite login screen on server itself

Splurge4982

Nov 26, 2022
Hi,
I cannot login from server itself. (which is proxmox installed laptop)
Terminal keep asking login screen.

I can't connect Shell from GUI too.

Do I have to re-install proxmox?

Attachments

• 20221126_132405 radgoat_-_Proxmox_Virtual_Environment_-_Chrome.png
    20221126_132405 radgoat_-_Proxmox_Virtual_Environment_-_Chrome.png
    92.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hi,

this looks like you tried to set zsh as your root shell for the user root without making sure that it is either available at given path or installing it in the first place. You could try to restore your install to working version by either:

• Log in with another user that has enough privileges to edit /etc/passwd and/or install new packages. Then you could:
    • First make sure that zsh is installed with apt install zsh and also where the executable is located with which zsh.
    • Maybe that was enough to fix your issue, try using the GUI to access the shell at this point before continuing.
    • If it wasn't, you'll have to edit /etc/passwd: Use vipw. This should open the file in an editor of your choice (probably nano or vim.tiny). There should be a line that starts with root (probably the first line), make sure that the absolute path after last colon on that line points to zsh. In other words: make sure that it matches the output of which from before.
  • If you don't have another user that you can log in with, you will need to use a rescue image of your choice to edit the file /etc/passwd. In this case, just change the part after the last colon to /bin/bash.

Reactions: Splurge4982
Hi,

this looks like you tried to set zsh as your root shell for the user root without making sure that it is either available at given path or installing it in the first place. You could try to restore your install to working version by either:

• Log in with another user that has enough privileges to edit /etc/passwd and/or install new packages. Then you could:
    • First make sure that zsh is installed with apt install zsh and also where the executable is located with which zsh.
    • Maybe that was enough to fix your issue, try using the GUI to access the shell at this point before continuing.
    • If it wasn't, you'll have to edit /etc/passwd: Use vipw. This should open the file in an editor of your choice (probably nano or vim.tiny). There should be a line that starts with root (probably the first line), make sure that the absolute path after last colon on that line points to zsh. In other words: make sure that it matches the output of which from before.
  • If you don't have another user that you can log in with, you will need to use a rescue image of your choice to edit the file /etc/passwd. In this case, just change the part after the last colon to /bin/bash.
Oh... Thank you very much. I tried to change terminal look prettier.
Since I don't have any user and not familiar with linux, I had to re-install.
It solved. Thank you!

Last edited:
Oh... Thank you very much. I tried to change terminal look prettier.
Well, if you want to, you can still use zsh, but you'll need to make sure that it is actually installed and that you don't just use the command, but the absolute path when changing the shell:

Bash:
[[ -x $(which zsh) ]] && chsh -s $(which zsh)

This is the safest way of doing this I could come up with on a whim. It first checks if zsh points to an executable and then sets that executable as the shell for the current user. If it's not an executable, nothing will happen.

Last edited:
Since this issue seems resolved, please mark the thread as solved by clicking "Edit Thread" up top and then select the "Solved" prefix.

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!