Increasing PVE bandwidth with LAG/LACP?

diego.espinoza

May 27, 2021
Chile
www.vozdigital.cl
Dear Community,

I'm trying to increase the concurrent bandwidth available of a LAN Network (Between 2 PVE Instances) with the following environment:

PVE1 NICs: 2 x 1 GBit
PVE2 NICs: 2 x 1 GBit
HP Switch 2530 24G

The idea is to increase the LAN Bandwidth from 1 GBit to 2 GBit /s between PVE instances through a HP Switch.

This is the "Network Map"

LAN Router (Provisioning LAN)
HP 2530 24G | Ports 19,20 (PVE1) & 20,21 (PVE2) with LACP Layer 4 Trunks respectively
PVE1 | eno1,eno2 through LACP Bond, Layer 3+4
PVE2 | eno1, eno2 through LACP Bond, Layer 3+4
VM's on each PVE instance through Linux Bridges that have the Bond interfaces assigned.

PVE1 (VM 1 -> Linux Bridge -> Linux Bond -> eno1 & eno2) -> Switch -> PVE2 (eno1 & eno2 -> Linux Bond -> Linux Bridge -> VM 2)

I've read a lot of articles about LACP and i'm getting confused instead of what it should do and what it actually does on Proxmox,

Some topics tells that it should provide a "Single Interface Bandwith per Connection" (Meaning that I should get 1GBit MAX per connection until reaching the max bandwith of the TWO interfaces, BUT all the connections share the same bandwith of a single Interface, 1GBit) and others tell that "Only provides a single interface bandwith and its intended for redundancy purposes"

Heres an example:
1.- With 3 TCP connections, the MAX Bandwith should be 2 GBit, but each one can get up to 1GBit
2.- With 3 TCP connections, the MAX Bandwith should be 1 GBit shared between them, if one LAN Link fails, we have the backup.

In summary,
I would like to know which Bond should i use to increase the max bandwith of a single TCP connection (LAGG) in Proxmox environment, and, if not possible, any advices to do something similar?

Kind Regards to everyone
Diego Espinoza

There's only one bond that increases the bandwidth between two hosts and that is balance-rr, although it won't be double because of certain side effects.
Every other mode (including 802.3ad) will only use a single cable for each connection.
Active-backup, however, uses one cable for every connection and switches to the other one if the link goes down, so that only makes sense with two different switches.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!