import qcow2 - error message non existent or non regular file

Boerny41

Aug 19, 2022
Hi,

I want to migrate form HyperV to Proxmox but keep my VMs. After some reading I found out that you can export the VMs from HyperV, convert them to qcow2 with Starwind V2V and continue to use the virtual hard disk in proxmox.

After doing so I copied the filename.qcow2 file in the root directory of the proxmox installation. Next I created a VM without OS and tried to import the virtual disk.
However the command qm importdisk 101 /root/homeassistant.qcow2 local --format qcow2 always gives the error "non.existent or non-regular file"

I've tried different directories and different file names however nothing worked. I've also tried to copy the file directly into /var/lib/vz/images/101, deleting the existing "vm-101-disk-0.qcow2" file and renaming my "homeassistant.qcow2" to "vm-101...." but it was stuck trying to boot.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: I've just tried to copy the .vhdx file to proxmox and use qemu-img convert -O qcow2 /var/lib/vz/images/101/HomeAssistant.vhdx /var/lib/vz/images/101/vm-101-disk-0.qcow2 to convert it. While the conversion itself worked fine, it once again is stuck when trying to boot just like it was when I manually converted, renamed and copied the file. Both times the initial vhdx file was 17gb and the resulting qcow2 only 12GB

Last edited:
Hé,

On HyperV, did you used UEFI BIOS settings ? If yes, configures your New VM as q35 host ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!