I/O Errors with 4x brand new NVME's WD SN530 256 GB proxmox 7.2.1

bimbo_mak

Sep 16, 2022
Hello,

Trying to figure out why the proxmox can see my new 4x disks in the GUI and once i click wipe out is start throwing errors and not been able to write or communicate with the drives.

I also have another Crucial P1 1TB which works without any problems.

I will appreciate your help just to understand if this model SN 530 is not supported by Proxmox?

Thank you!

Hello,

Trying to figure out why the proxmox can see my new 4x disks in the GUI and once i click wipe out is start throwing errors and not been able to write or communicate with the drives.

I also have another Crucial P1 1TB which works without any problems.

I will appreciate your help just to understand if this model SN 530 is not supported by Proxmox?

Thank you!
It would help if you could post the errors from the log. What happens if you wipe the disk via cli with sgdisk -Z /dev/sdX

Hi jsterr,

Thanks for taking look at my problem!

Here attached is the list in order by actions:

This is will stuck on GUI

wiping block device /dev/nvme0n1
/dev/nvme0n1: 8 bytes were erased at offset 0x00000200 (gpt): 45 46 49 20 50 41 52 54
/dev/nvme0n1: 8 bytes were erased at offset 0x3b9e655e00 (gpt): 45 46 49 20 50 41 52 54
/dev/nvme0n1: 2 bytes were erased at offset 0x000001fe (PMBR): 55 aa
/dev/nvme0n1: calling ioctl to re-read partition table: Success
dd: fdatasync failed for '/dev/nvme0n1': Input/output error
dd: fsync failed for '/dev/nvme0n1': Input/output error
200+0 records in
200+0 records out
TASK ERROR: error wiping '/dev/nvme0n1': 209715200 bytes (210 MB, 200 MiB) copied, 62.2433 s, 3.4 MB/s

Attachments

• 01 list of disk is on top.png
    01 list of disk is on top.png
    606.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 02 - smart values.png
    02 - smart values.png
    78.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 03 - when i executed the command you give me.png
    03 - when i executed the command you give me.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 04 - when i started the Wipe Option from GUI and stops here.png
    04 - when i started the Wipe Option from GUI and stops here.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 05---output-trowin-errors-on-server-console-directly-but-Proxmox-not-showing.jpg
    05---output-trowin-errors-on-server-console-directly-but-Proxmox-not-showing.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hi jsterr,

Thanks for taking look at my problem!

Here attached is the list in order by actions:

Wheres the error? You should look at syslog why your nvme has over 9000 Error Entries, could be false positive, but could also be related. You might wanna delete your Partition 1 on /dev/nvme0n1, then do sgdisk -Z /dev/nvme0n1 and sgdisk -o /dev/nvme0n1. No need for wipe after those commands, if everything works well. After that your disk should be not in use and gpt yes and can then be used for ZFS for example.

https://fedoramagazine.org/managing-partitions-with-sgdisk/

This is the error:

And the all those errors on the smart are increasing after every time i use the wipe option, disks are new.

Forgot to mention that after few minutes the disk will dissapear from proxmox GUI and need to restart the server to get back again.

Maybe his disk (WD SN530) is not compatible with my server (IBM x3650 M4 7195)?

I will try the tips you give me for sgdisk and write back soon

05---output-trowin-errors-on-server-console-directly-but-Proxmox-not-showing.jpg

here is the output again
When i used the second command to delete the partition and than started throwing again errors on server main monitor/console but not here on Proxmox VNC console

1663324735799.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!