I have been constantly plagued with getting a KVM for Linux to run. But, HARK

gcmartin

Sep 14, 2010
I have been constantly plagued with getting a KVM for Linux to run <SOLVED>

Problem: Proxmox cannot run a KVM guest Proxmox is a bare bones OS. It is referenced as a Bare-Metal VM Host which does not require a base OS from a vendor. But, I have repeated run into the some issues hampering an evaluation. The physical system is
  1. a 64bit AMD X2.
  2. It has 4GB RAM
  3. with 2 LAN adapters on motherboard,
  4. 2 DVD rewritable devices
  5. and a single HDD connected to the motherboard.
This system has worked fine with other VM product evals. But, is hampered with Proxmox in creating running KVM based VM guests on the Proxmox host. Its inability to access any Virtual Machine’s console such that the eval can proceed still plagues any progress A set of videos was produced by Proxmox and a “Pristine” installation was followed without making ANY adjustments to the the system’s setup nor the system's files. The videos, both installation and VM Create was followed to the letter, without a successfully running Virtual Machine on the host system. The following shows the VM created via a browser and the failure(s) which occur were captured. Problem Summary When VM created, it will start a console to the VM. Thus, no way to determine any activity which may or may not be occurring within the VM guest. Scenario Reviewing the “VM guest’s console start” shows that Proxmox is logging an error trying to run “/bin/nc ...” (see message in main browser screen) And, at the console in the browser, nothing can be done to activate the OS with any expected results. (Any start immediately generates a “stopped” status its the guest’s console browser) Information provided herein Screens used to create a VM guest. Screens showing Proxmox browsers with error messages and status info. Requests
  1. Is the error message a bug in this beta version? Note: I notices that in the Ubuntu KVM demo video, there was no error resulting when he opened the console to the guest Ubuntu VM. Not error in main browser or in console's browser)
  2. Why does all OS end with a stopped status in its browser’s console?
Appealing to Proxmox, as, I feel, we’re missing some key piece of information for proper system operation. Following the video(s), I noticed that the demonstrator (for the Proxmox Ubuntu KVM demo) is not getting the same error. Are there resolutions to problem in the version demo'd that is NOT available to us, the betat testing community?
RYCBvZpmaD2j4xLUPe5PNISPkVs0CsjJurNkJv3eZ6hsc9qfJZ5ZoBYP6P3VB05Up-YDeW6SrmeyRV3uBM0XG8EwC1xItVA4pJxENqjIJ8r7
C-nimuqXyURFpNE0I0c9MepKJt6eZ9Mwcihf5dznrBXG34qzDk7TgJwkkGwuMmeVJou1TFKK3uxpntHJq4D-upfONLnm6WNkdzx1c5AZpECu
-cWFc7BFCREWY_oG2j9_zjkpBXRkY7srGscUnJ7M9Fd6JqYSDxgeTSUceAr01DUtHD5DKxT7MxOX0SifY1i7Jvb5pgaNscwh4OqSRCfLwI9V
drl06UwFw5imBHjde6CDmO-CbSn5nHmDeEM1cgdFenu2anZlXYpsSQ1sQ02XBxoxfO0VzKvq-sVPLPSG9uGy2Ipo56q3-Cmpc_HmlOntCSO-

Last edited:
The additional screens preceeding VM client startup. Then startup screens are shown in the next POST
QDq802bwBHm2yVXARc4VZGrK9wQduMWdj5n7XF5VcKyXDmsXinPoe_sLZFTe7EfOxywFUTuVDznknieYg8uPzTChwvGLdYz7bYz402Wn_-Bf
kwlABp2nGdHrFHYEJCU0mbBaFA-0IN9TZS6bS3lfGJWE6OUxztQYIWjcEvcLGTUdz4KHXwO50X8lpCt7wWBgnUhBwge92g3iRQWcwO_G1jYd
a_y7B7daM_ztYU6my2z7EZ7tG8BjbO3wJZ5EMvPh3BoOVoZ0fseJx5yC-STMEOg1S0aIQfmPDrAwNvP98mRq_jxFWHvelDsBOreCClTIw2kS
EZLFCJlZVz7OLKfWwcQmnIS97N0PBZBqhvVUaaxA5FKPy0yaLXkqGau0syf9vQBvUHDrGRT9qKO5Fv1O6oQU7pFLmkNRkgf6q8FqP8huy76V

Last edited:
The console window requires Java plugin and security authorisation. Have you tried doing start from either an ssh to the proxmox host or local keyboard/monitor, have you tried clicking start when you've clicked on the guest vm's icon in the web page (without going to console first). The NC mentioned is routing VNC across a private network on the hypervisor. It can't start if Java can't run. Do you get and accept the usual Java plugin trappings? "Trust" and "Allow"? What web browser are you using to visit the proxmox page?

Final Proxmox screens. This should allow support with a much more complete picture. When this is all said and done, I will provide forum support a summary or its resolutions for other beginners of V2 so that they don't give up.

UDO asked "cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep svm" Answer: KVM is present on this AMD X2. I am not aware of any X2 without KVM

UDO asked "... VPM ..." Answer: Will test and reply tomorrow.

Question: Does the screens and "on-screen log" below give anyone a clue to the present problem?

Following shows failures when Guest is started
33mXieXaUeB1bszWyCs6VsMTilxAA5iJiwRwkWZ7n3Ei5evwZ-_GtY74fPWq0JeNqQqjBReauov3ycXu-CdQoA-Fn2ddEORZxyfPlvHvUe-r
OPAMv94zmuEn2HSzPfK26TguE8WlgjUlQsmOUmzQwIrMVtruJxi8stfRrmKJUiL_Gamjt8hvBHoZ-74FIIf0SEIO1n37cKNu2rEWFaQ4avJP
ICXhZtMmrmgiSiYdLbfXqWtw4RpXmmjKLrFCaxDmHpyhxXvakkrCmWo_LX_C6pCj0dWROqwyWZLjbY57d_SzBj5KN-ph973Hes5E-5z_CWVB

Last edited:
Not support, just another user, but that seems to show that start works fine, stop doesn't happen until asked and happens fine.
The problem is the nc not being able to connect to the java applet in your browser within 10 seconds. Does http://java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp give you any sign that "Your Java is working" ?
I don't think "Seamonkey" is necessarily a "supported platform" but there's some info here about Java on Seamonkey: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey1.0/installation-extras

@FAYE
Your simply a HERO!. You hit this one with dead center accuracy as you were very specific in your guidance. The specific resolution to this is to insure that JAVA was available and enable in the browser being used.

Thank you ever so much.

I will post an update with screens on that Public document I made earlier as it shows in a single screen the problem, the webpage details with errors and the solution (resolution to the problem) .

Thanks to you for your generous help !!!!!

Last edited:
Re: I have been constantly plagued with getting a KVM for Linux to run.<SOLVED>

JAVA, active, solved this problem. Scenario: At logon, Certificate acceptance for the port is required for the login to the server. I had wrongly associated this with JAVA. JJAVA does NOT come into play until the browser attempts a connection to a 2nd port for console (and VM client) operations.JAVA being active in browser solved this problem.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!