I have a virtio network at 100gbps ??? crazy

HFernandez

May 20, 2019
Hello, I have 1 cluster of 3 nodes, I have four 1GB network cards in bond mode.

add a virtio to a VM (win7) and speed me up to 100gbps.

Attached image.

Is it a bug?

Attachments

• 100gbps.jpg
    100gbps.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 79
Hi,

this is only a number from the nic driver, not the real speed.
And the speed declaration makes no difference for the guest.

This answer does not transmit security.
The sizes of the discs?
the memory?
What is real and what is not?

This has nothing to do with security.
It is a number in a driver what exactly do nothing expect showing the speed of the nic.

Is it a bug?

You have a virtual network card without any physical boundaries, so no, this is not a bug. You can transfer data from one VM to another VM on the same host and bridge very fast and internally this uses memory copy, so that you will have a very, very huge bandwidth, which does not comply with normal ethernet standards (remember, there is no real hardware). These "huge" numbers are more an upper limit than guaranteed throughput.

I have here on one server (with only 1 GBE cards) 6 GBit/s between two virtual machines.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!