I can't connect to my Proxmox on browser in Windows

irontests

Jan 28, 2024
Hi guys,
This is going to be a weird issue to describe. I made a VM of Ubuntu in VirtualBox, and then made a VM of Proxmox in Virtual Machine Manager on Ubuntu. I am able to open Proxmox on Firefox in my Ubuntu VM, but not in Windows. I am wholeheartedly not sure what I need to start this process of helping you help me, and I duly apologize for that. If there are any more conventional ways to run Proxmox, I am very open to ideas other than wiping my Windows and getting Linux on my PC. I am begging for help. I am also kind of a dunce and don't know technical jargon very well, so if there's something you must explain, please do so as if you're speaking to a 5 year old.

Last edited:
Hey,

I'm pretty sure you can just run Proxmox the same way you did your Ubuntu VM. You not being able to reach PVE running in a VM in the Ubuntu VM probably has to do with your network setup in VirtualBox, and I am not sure I can help you with that directly other than pointing you to their official documentation [1]. You probably want to bridge the network your Windows is on to your VMs, but I am not sure if or how exactly that works in VirtualBox. Best option would be to just get a mini PC, NUC or maybe even just an old PC you're not using anymore. Any reason you didn't create the PVE VM directly in VirtualBox?

[1] https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html

Hey,

I'm pretty sure you can just run Proxmox the same way you did your Ubuntu VM. You not being able to reach PVE running in a VM in the Ubuntu VM probably has to do with your network setup in VirtualBox, and I am not sure I can help you with that directly other than pointing you to their official documentation [1]. You probably want to bridge the network your Windows is on to your VMs, but I am not sure if or how exactly that works in VirtualBox. Best option would be to just get a mini PC, NUC or maybe even just an old PC you're not using anymore. Any reason you didn't create the PVE VM directly in VirtualBox?

[1] https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html
I did try to make the PVE VM in VirtualBox, but for some reason after the Graphical or Terminal UI install screen it black screens and does nothing. I waited 10 minutes after both options with no progress. My old laptop I have is far too slow so I’d either have to deal with poor performance or scrap and replace RAM and the hard drive as task manager constantly reports 100% disk usage. TL;DR, VirtualBox won’t let me use Proxmox. Ubuntu gave better result but nested VMs will more than likely tank performance as well.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!