HTOP in Deb12 LXC showing differing Values

Noah0302

Jul 21, 2022
Hello everyone,

Im currently facing a possible issue with Permissions in my Debian 12 Containers.

One of my many Deb 12 Containers seems to have more "Permissions" than the others, at least according to HTOP:
CT-Normal:
Pihole-Normal.png
CT-Abnormal:
Pihole-Abnormal.png

The Containers both have the following Settings, are running on the same Node, and have been rebooted:
CT-Settings.png

Is this a known issue? I have not seen anything related, but maybe I was too stupid to look.

Thank you for reading!

Please post the config pct config CTID of both using the code tags.

Please post the config pct config CTID of both using the code tags.
Thank you for the Reply, here is the output for both Containers:

Code:
pct config 15003
arch: amd64
cores: 1
features: nesting=1
hostname: Pihole-Solar
memory: 256
nameserver: 127.0.0.1
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr1,firewall=1,gw=10.15.15.1,hwaddr=16:CC:AB:9D:88:86,ip=10.15.15.3/24,tag=15,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: debian
rootfs: CEPH-SSD:vm-15003-disk-0,size=8G
searchdomain: solar.local
swap: 512
tags: debian;pihole
unprivileged: 1

Code:
pct config 90003
arch: amd64
cores: 2
features: nesting=1
hostname: Pihole-Admin
memory: 256
nameserver: 127.0.0.1
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr1,firewall=1,gw=10.90.90.1,hwaddr=AA:F0:E3:18:E8:69,ip=10.90.90.4/24,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: debian
rootfs: CEPH-NVMe:vm-90003-disk-0,size=8G
searchdomain: admin.local
swap: 512
tags: debian;pihole
unprivileged: 1

What are the versions of htop for each CT?

This is a known bug in htop, see https://github.com/htop-dev/htop/issues/1198
Also, has been answered before: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/lxc-debian-12-vcpu-offline-in-htop.130332/
Thank you for the Reply!

I did not see the specific known Issue with HTOP.

Pihole with wrong Display (Debian 12)
1713264298621.png
Code:
pi@Pihole-Admin:~$ apt show htop                                                                                                                                                                              
Package: htop                                                                                                                                                                                                  
Version: 3.2.2-2                                                                                                                                                                                              
Priority: optional                                                                                                                                                                                            
Section: utils                                                                                                                                                                                                
Maintainer: Daniel Lange                                                                                                                                                                    
Installed-Size: 387 kB                                                                                                                                                                                        
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.34), libncursesw6 (>= 6), libnl-3-200 (>= 3.2.7), libnl-genl-3-200 (>= 3.2.7), libtinfo6 (>= 6)                                                                                          
Suggests: lm-sensors, lsof, strace                                                                                                                                                                            
Homepage: https://htop.dev/                                                                                                                                                                                    
Tag: admin::monitoring, implemented-in::c, interface::text-mode,                                                                                                                                              
 role::program, scope::utility, uitoolkit::ncurses, use::monitor,                                                                                                                                              
 works-with::software:running                                                                                                                                                                                  
Download-Size: 152 kB                                                                                                                                                                                          
APT-Manual-Installed: yes                                                                                                                                                                                      
APT-Sources: http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm/main amd64 Packages                                                                                                                                        
Description: interactive processes viewer                                                                                                                                                                      
 Htop is an ncursed-based process viewer similar to top, but it                                                                                                                                                
 allows one to scroll the list vertically and horizontally to see                                                                                                                                              
 all processes and their full command lines.                                                                                                                                                                  
 .                                                                                                                                                                                                            
 Tasks related to processes (killing, renicing) can be done without                                                                                                                                            
 entering their PIDs.

Pihole with correct Display (Debian 11)
1713264323366.png
Code:
pi@Pihole-Gast:~$ apt show htop                                                                                                                                                                                
Package: htop                                                                                                                                                                                                  
Version: 3.0.5-7                                                                                                                                                                                              
Priority: optional                                                                                                                                                                                            
Section: utils                                                                                                                                                                                                
Maintainer: Daniel Lange                                                                                                                                                                    
Installed-Size: 328 kB                                                                                                                                                                                        
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.29), libncursesw6 (>= 6), libnl-3-200 (>= 3.2.7), libnl-genl-3-200 (>= 3.2.7), libtinfo6 (>= 6)                                                                                          
Suggests: lm-sensors, lsof, strace                                                                                                                                                                            
Homepage: https://htop.dev/                                                                                                                                                                                    
Tag: admin::monitoring, interface::text-mode, role::program, scope::utility,                                                                                                                                  
 uitoolkit::ncurses, use::monitor, works-with::software:running                                                                                                                                                
Download-Size: 127 kB                                                                                                                                                                                          
APT-Manual-Installed: yes                                                                                                                                                                                      
APT-Sources: http://ftp.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 Packages                                                                                                                                        
Description: interactive processes viewer                                                                                                                                                                      
 Htop is an ncursed-based process viewer similar to top, but it                                                                                                                                                
 allows one to scroll the list vertically and horizontally to see                                                                                                                                              
 all processes and their full command lines.                                                                                                                                                                  
 .                                                                                                                                                                                                            
 Tasks related to processes (killing, renicing) can be done without                                                                                                                                            
 entering their PIDs.

Both Pihole are running on a different Node compared to my last Screenshots, but the Issue is the same.

I also did not realize that some of my Piholes were still running Debian 11, so they had the older Package... Sorry!
I totally thought all my Containers were running the latest Debian 12 Package, so I did not even think about checking the Package Version...
Gotta upgrade them soon to Debian 12, so all my Containers are running the same Release, like I did with my VMs recently.

Thank you for answering my Question!

Last edited:
Reactions: cheiss
Yeah, bit of a pickle that the current version in Debian stable contains that problem.

Anyway, please just mark the thread as SOLVED by editing the first post, there should be a dropdown near the title field. That helps others to find this thread more easily in the future! :)

Yeah, bit of a pickle that the current version in Debian stable contains that problem.

Anyway, please just mark the thread as SOLVED by editing the first post, there should be a dropdown near the title field. That helps others to find this thread more easily in the future! :)
I already tried, but I did not find it:
1713265997561.png

Am I just blind, or is the Option to mark as solved really missing?
Because in the past I had marked my Posts as solved.

Is the Start of the Thread too old and archived? Because I also dont have the Option to delete my older Comments...

Last edited:
Am I just blind, or is the Option to mark as solved really missing?
Because in the past I had marked my Posts as solved.
I think from past experience, the ability to edit the post thread title is lost after some time. Your OP was in January.
So, no you're probably not blind!

Reactions: Noah0302
I thought the LXC had more Permissions to read out how many Threads the Host had underneath, so I wrote Permissions.
Kind of like priviledged vs unpriviledged.
I actually thought, that is what you meant - but decided against - since its not very descriptive. I intentionally posted my comment - not as spelling/grammar checker - but to see your reaction- which I got.

Does your host have in fact 32 cores? If this is the case, then the "bug" is in fact slightly troubling, since it would mean some sort of leakage to the host. Probably though its contained to the CPU capabilities info being passed to the container.

Looking at the bug posted by LnxBil, it appears the poster does in fact have the said number of cores/threads on the host.

I actually thought, that is what you meant - but decided against - since its not very descriptive. I intentionally posted my comment - not as spelling/grammar checker - but to see your reaction- which I got.

Does your host have in fact 32 cores? If this is the case, then the "bug" is in fact slightly troubling, since it would mean some sort of leakage to the host. Probably though its contained to the CPU capabilities info being passed to the container.

Looking at the bug posted by LnxBil, it appears the poster does in fact have the said number of cores/threads on the host.
Yes, the Host has 16/32 Threads, its a Ryzen 9 3950X.

And my follow up shows the correct 6/12 Threads of my i7 8700k, when I migrated the LXC to another Host in my Cluster.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!