HP proliant dl380 G6 == no go?

Mattias Hedman

Jan 19, 2019
I'm trying to install proxmox on a HP ProLiant Dl380 G6 and all I get is that I need to load the kernal first.

What to do?

Could you give us more information or a Screenshot?
Are you sure your installation medium is working correctly?

Could you give us more information or a Screenshot?
Are you sure your installation medium is working correctly?
I can't take a screenshot... it is a black screen with white text.

I will try to make a new installation usb stick, I think I would be able to but an insulation CD as well.

I got a suggestion on reddit to install Debian Strech first (which works) and then to install Proxmox.
First I will install with this new USB, second I will make another one, if that fails I will burn a CD.
If all that fails I will install Debian and go from there.

First I will install with this new USB, second I will make another one, if that fails I will burn a CD.
If all that fails I will install Debian and go from there.

I haven't used an optical disk in a server for a very long time. Normally, server have a remote management console on which you can just mount a local ISO from your machine and boot directly from that.

So how do I go into to BIOS?

I don't know by heart, just look at the boot screen in the lower left or right corner. Normally this is F{2,8,11}

I got a suggestion on reddit to install Debian Strech first (which works) and then to install Proxmox.

Perfect way. Just follow https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Stretch

We have a couple of them running a current Proxmox setup (installed from the official image), and they all do well. What is important is to have the latest BIOS installed to ensure proper support for Virtualization features, and also to enable them within the BIOS. The BIOS itself can be accessed via F10 during the boot-up.

Latest BIOS Download: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/pu...0a5cb34d96e04ab3bde007ae31&swEnvOid=4184#tab1 (Installation via USB-Bootstick; Boot-Stick Creation runs from Windows)

Reactions: Toni G

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!