[SOLVED] HOWTO: Remove popup regarding subscription on login.

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_top

Renowned Member
Sep 6, 2013
If you're bothered by the popup message shown on login, here is how I removed it in my installation:

I added 'false' in the above.

I understand the need to make a living - I also am in that category - but there should be a way to disable it (which generally confirms that the person did notice, read and understand the message).

Last edited by a moderator:
the recommended way to disable the notification is uploading a subscription key. if you think its easier for you to remove it in the code you are free to do this according to the license.

the recommended way to disable the notification is uploading a subscription key. if you think its easier for you to remove it in the code you are free to do this according to the license.

He is also allowed to redistribute any changes according to said license.

Also, when it comes to your edit message:
Last edited by tom; 21 Hours Ago at 08:33 PM. Reason: patch remove enterprise features
A patch removing the subscription nag does NOT remove ENTERPRISE features.
It removes a feature that is in place to annoy non-paying users into buying the license to use the enterprise repository.
If anything, it ADDS a enterprise feature.
Your main selling point on the subscription seems to be the enterprise repository itself, not the removal of this dialog.
A user which is removing this dialog has most likely already decided not to buy the subscription.

In my opinion, this dialog should disappear after the user has actively removed the enterprise repository from the apt sources list. (This was the behavior i expected when removing the repository)

It might also be worth noting that my use of Proxmox VE, is for my own private server, and that after updating from 1.9 a couple of days ago i stumbled upon this annoyance.
I use this server for my own webpage, my email, DNS, playing around and learning more GNU/Linux, testing different operating systems, hosting some of my OpenSource projects with related files.
The presence of an almost forced subscription was not apparent before i had updated my single server, brought back my VMs from backups, logged in to the web-interface a couple of times and reading a long forum thread on the subject, and then it was too late to turn back and stick with 1.9.

Please excuse any spelling errors, as English is not my native language.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mbx and rcd
Well said Oddstr13, couldn't agree more.

I'm in a similar situation. You're not "losing" money on me, I use Proxmox at home because it has a nice UI and works well but I have no problem going back to running KVM et al manually or choosing another alternative (and likely will after this post is deleted). Adding a nag message is an annoyance but within reason, however censoring a patch someone posted to remove it is very telling about how little you appreciate the Open Source which is the basis of the majority of your product. Your forum or not, it displays a level of arrogance that people should take note of.

I know you don't care what I think because I'm not a paying customer but I hope others who are or who are considering it see this and seriously think about that. There are plenty of other options in this space.

Reactions: iZxLqK, mbx and rcd
I see eee3 and Oddstr13 both use PVE for home use... As do I. Most home users (and even many small businesses) cannot really justify the bottom support subscription fee currently on offer.

I have been a PVE user for a few years - since about 0.9 from memory. When I saw that subscription hint appear in Tom's signature, I clicked it with every intention to buy a subscription if the price wasn't too much. But it IS too much for me at home, and it IS too much for the business I work for (in fact, it would be more than what the hardware it runs on cost us at work).

So what I suggest is perhaps a "home/student" license in addition to the rest... I'd happily pay around 25 to 30 Euros a year. I know it would be open to abuse by business users, but those users will probably not pay the 200 anyway, so it's actually a gain not a loss.
Or alternatively, perhaps a really low price key that disables the nag screen (or shows it just once per update)?

Edit: Hang on... I was still going off the old price mentioned in the locked sticky thread... I didn't realise it had change to 4 Euros per CPU per month... Still not really justifiable for my home server though, but more acceptable to a small business. Big jump from free though.

Last edited:
I see eee3 and Oddstr13 both use PVE for home use... As do I. Most home users (and even many small businesses) cannot really justify the bottom support subscription fee currently on offer.

The popup needs a single click to disappear (once per login), so I am 100% sure any home user can live with that.

The popup needs a single click to disappear (once per login), so I am 100% sure any home user can live with that.

An extra, unnecessary click every single login, of which I find annoying.
It's fine that you want to get paid for your work.
It is also fine that you want this popup enabled by default in your distribution.
It is however NOT fine that you censor any patch to remove this dialog - it is just a dialog after all, and this is open source software.

Now, the fact that you censor even a pointer in the direction of removing this dialog outright pisses me off. Pissing off users is not what you want.

Even if I am a home, non-paying user at the moment, that does not mean I am not a potential customer anymore. The situation might change, I might want to use the software I am familiar with in connection with work, or i might even start my own company in the future.

Last edited by dietmar; 10 Hours Ago at 08:13 AM. Reason: remove reference to external content
For the record, this was search words to enter into the Google search engine,
that resulted in a patch to remove the subscription popup after login.

Reactions: mbx and rcd
I'm kind of shocked at how horribly the ProxMox team has handled this entire thing. It really shows a nice level of maturity. Keep it up!
/s

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: rcd
I am shocked at how much people whine about a simple dialog that can simply be removed or clicked on.

You use the software for free, clicking or manually removing the feature is too "expensive" for you?
Do you also complain when someone hands you a free unopened beer and you have to, OMG, open it yourself?

I do not entirely agree that it is best for the Proxmox team to remove posts about how to disable it, IMHO they would be better off simply suggesting why purchasing a subscription is superior. But it is their forum and they can do what they want. If you want free speech go setup your own forum and speak freely all you want.
People posting such information here are also wrong, does not seem much different than leaving a crap on their front porch. No wonder they deleted things.

The people here on these forums are from all over the world, there is some obvious culture clash that goes on at times.
What you find offensive/arrogant/mean/whatever from someone might not be considered as such in their culture.
Combine that with the fact that English is a 2nd language for many here including, I assume, the Proxmox team.
Different culture, things lost in translation, obviously people are going to take many things the wrong way on emotional subjects.
It would do you good to stop and think about that from time to time.

Seems like most of the people who complain about this nag box are people who use Proxmox for free.
You sit there and look at things from your narrow point of view.
I understand you find it annoying, remove it and move on with your life, no one is stopping you.
If it is some deep principal you feel has been violated, then fork Proxmox and go develop it on your own. Nothing is stopping you other than maybe time and money.
Just stop thinking that the world revolves around you and your desire to not have a nag box in software you use for free.

The changes the Proxmox team has made are whats in the best interest of this project.
They have provided a new service that businesses find valuable and as such will pay for it like my company has done.
Without this change there was no value to subscribe thus making it harder to get approval for the purchase.
But you never considered that did you? Whats so wrong with others funding the software you use for free?

Proxmox does not exist without funding.
Others are here footing the bill so you can use this software for free.
When you start contributing money or contributing significant time to this project then people will be more open to listen to what you have to say.
Until then stop whining that that you have to click a box to use this awesome software for free.

If you still do not get it, maybe some proverbs will help you understand what you are doing wrong:
You can't eat your cake and have it too.
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

For the record, I am offended by all the complaining about this nag box.
I have spent countless hours, of my own personal time, hanging out here to help others.
These same people who I help for FREE are now bitching that OMG they have to click a nag box in software they use for FREE.
Sorry that FREE is not good enough for you, maybe you should take your ball and go home.

Reactions: meichthys
... You use the software for free, clicking or manually removing the feature is too "expensive" for you? ...
I am fine with removing the feature manually, I am sorry that I did not make that clear enough.

I am shocked at how much people whine about a simple dialog that can simply be removed or clicked on.

I appreciate your well thought out response. I honestly don't disagree with what you have said but let me please clarify a little bit..

My day job is as a Software Engineer. I develop both Closed and Open Source software and get paid for it. I've also contributed Open Source software in my spare time. I've even seen that software get incorporated into other software for which people have profited off of. Oh, and the company I work for has spent millions on support for Open Source software. I believe that qualifies me as having a pretty wide view.

As I stated in my original post, my issue is with the censorship of a patch, and now even an external link. As I also stated, I use Proxmox at home for personal use so they were never going to make a money off of me. However, I did happen to be in the process of working on the bug with FreeBSD not booting on certain Ivy Bridge CPU's (it's in their 2.6.32 kernel). A patch that would add value to the product and perhaps lead to money from others. Maybe, maybe not. But after seeing how this was handled, there is absolutely no way I'm going to make a contribution. Contributors look at examples like this, however petty they may seem, and I believe many others would walk away like I have after seeing this.

Notice in my first response (which is unedited) I'm not saying they did anything illegal, it's perfectly their rights, I just think it's a really shortsighted position and that they're going to alienate themselves from others who could really help improve the product. Maybe it's a cultural thing as you've said, heck, maybe I'm crazy, but that's where I stand. There I got it out and promise this will be my last post on the topic. :)

My issue is/was not with the dialog box itself.

My issue is with the way the ProxMox team has handled EVERYTHING about it so far.

I understand the need to make money, I understand the desire to scrape in as many subscriptions as possible to fund the project. I get that. What I dont understand is why nobody was informed this was coming, prior to the change. I thought they actually liked the community?

Why hasn't the team actually clarified why they went this route? It makes some people a little uneasy about sinking too much time or effort into the project moving forward, and with the attitudes the team has displayed here, makes a lot of people reconsider spending any money with them. What are they going to do next to push users away? What is next in the pipeline to push users to get subscriptions? This doesn't really feel like a very good discussion community if you are actively censoring the things that people bring up. It feels like they just dont give 2 sh!ts about what the community has to say....you know, that community that helped them get to where they are now?

I was rather disappointed in the attitudes displayed, and the lack of communication sent out to the users and the people that push the product. But hey, I'm just a worthless home user! It's not like I had plans to get my multi-million dollar company to ditch some of their VMWare ties to help support the project...

I have seen the response the devs have to home users, and it is quite shocking to say the least.

Reactions: rcd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!