How to transfer large ISO to ProxMox?

J

Jason Perlow

Is there a way to SCP copy or samba share out a directory that contains the ISO images and container templates?

I know there is a var/lib/vz/images directory. But where do the ISO images go, and how do you refresh the list in the interface?

I'm having problems transferring large ISO files to proxmox (1GB+) such as Windows Vista DVD and Windows Server 2008 DVD and OpenSUSE 11 and would like to know how to do this without using the web interface.

Is there a way to SCP copy or samba share out a directory that contains the ISO images and container templates?

I know there is a var/lib/vz/images directory. But where do the ISO images go, and how do you refresh the list in the interface?

I'm having problems transferring large ISO files to proxmox (1GB+) such as Windows Vista DVD and Windows Server 2008 DVD and OpenSUSE 11 and would like to know how to do this without using the web interface.

hi,

yes, uploading several gigabyte ISO images does not work (as far as I know an apache limit)

pls use scp to /var/lib/vz/template/iso
the web interface refreshes automatically.

Reactions: dnsmax
I know it's late but for Windows users, you can use FileZilla (Free tool) and connect with SFTP (ssh file transfert protocol). I used root user.

Reactions: GadgetPig
So for us Newbies, in a terminal, the above mentioned command looks like:
lj@lian:~/Downloads$ scp -v ubuntu-12.04-beta1-dvd-amd64.iso root@192.168.1.104:/var/lib/vz/template/iso

This transferred my Ubuntu-12.04 Beta iso (which I downloaded from the Ubuntu Web Page to /home/lj/Downloads) to my Proxmox VE server's /var/lib/vz/template/iso directory. The Proxmox VE server is located on my local LAN at ip 192.168.1.104.

So once the iso file is in the VE servers /var/lib/vz/template/iso directory, click on the generated VM's CD/DVD Drive in the Proxmox Virtual Environment (V2 see screenshot attached). Select "Use CD/DVD disc image file (iso)" Storage: is set to "local" and ISO Image: needs to point to (show) your iso file, namely ubuntu-12.04-beta1-dvd-amd64.iso

Then click start and then click console. In the VNC window, proceed using the normal Ubuntu Installer.

HTH Larry

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 452
Reactions: eXcalibre
I just tried to upload a centOS6.2 minimal iso.

It failed at the very end of the upload?

The manual upload worked perfectly :)

I know it's late but for Windows users, you can use FileZilla (Free tool) and connect with SFTP (ssh file transfert protocol). I used root user.

THANK YOU gboisvert!
I'm a Windows-man, and I was lookin' for a way to transfer large images to Proxmox. I have Filezilla, but didn't know about the fact of SFTP port.

That's magic!!!!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!