How to transfer large ISO to ProxMox?

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE 1.x: Installation and configuration' started by Jason Perlow, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow New Member

Is there a way to SCP copy or samba share out a directory that contains the ISO images and container templates?

I know there is a var/lib/vz/images directory. But where do the ISO images go, and how do you refresh the list in the interface?

I'm having problems transferring large ISO files to proxmox (1GB+) such as Windows Vista DVD and Windows Server 2008 DVD and OpenSUSE 11 and would like to know how to do this without using the web interface.

2. tom

tom Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

hi,

yes, uploading several gigabyte ISO images does not work (as far as I know an apache limit)

pls use scp to /var/lib/vz/template/iso
    the web interface refreshes automatically.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    dnsmax likes this.
  3. gboisvert

gboisvert New Member

I know it's late but for Windows users, you can use FileZilla (Free tool) and connect with SFTP (ssh file transfert protocol). I used root user.

GadgetPig likes this.
  4. LarryJ

LarryJ New Member

So for us Newbies, in a terminal, the above mentioned command looks like:
    lj@lian:~/Downloads$ scp -v ubuntu-12.04-beta1-dvd-amd64.iso root@192.168.1.104:/var/lib/vz/template/iso

This transferred my Ubuntu-12.04 Beta iso (which I downloaded from the Ubuntu Web Page to /home/lj/Downloads) to my Proxmox VE server's /var/lib/vz/template/iso directory. The Proxmox VE server is located on my local LAN at ip 192.168.1.104.

So once the iso file is in the VE servers /var/lib/vz/template/iso directory, click on the generated VM's CD/DVD Drive in the Proxmox Virtual Environment (V2 see screenshot attached). Select "Use CD/DVD disc image file (iso)" Storage: is set to "local" and ISO Image: needs to point to (show) your iso file, namely ubuntu-12.04-beta1-dvd-amd64.iso

Then click start and then click console. In the VNC window, proceed using the normal Ubuntu Installer.

HTH Larry

Attached Files:

eXcalibre likes this.
  5. ukzerosniper

ukzerosniper New Member

I just tried to upload a centOS6.2 minimal iso.

It failed at the very end of the upload?

The manual upload worked perfectly :)

6. Fabrix

Fabrix New Member

THANK YOU gboisvert!
    I'm a Windows-man, and I was lookin' for a way to transfer large images to Proxmox. I have Filezilla, but didn't know about the fact of SFTP port.

That's magic!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice