[TUTORIAL] How to setup PBS as a VM in Unraid and uses Virtiofs to passthrough shares

Did you manage to solve this problem?
I would guess it has to do with the mover if you are using a cache drive. I would suggest to people using this method to backup to either setup the backup folder for PBS onto an unassigned device (its a backup, so no need to be on array), or if you want redundancy, I have setup cache pools with BTRFS mirrors for doing this kind of thing. The mover tends to break NFS shares as well (which is how I manage many remote backups). So either put directly on the Array (slow as we all know in unRAID), or its own drive/mirror.

I'm going to join the chorus and say thank you for this guide! Amazingly helpful!

Thank you for this guide!

for future users using unraid 6.12.6 or newer: follow part one and go to part 2 - step 15 without creating the vm. All the xml configuration is done by default by selecting virtio as the unraid share after creating the VM the first time around.

If I already have PBS installed as a VM on my Proxmox node, does it make sense to do all of this (to move PBS from Proxmox to Unraid), rather than just make a new share on Unraid and mount it to the PBS?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!