How to setup a VM with OpenVPN interface?

tweimann

Dec 19, 2021
I want to setup a VM with all Traffic going through a VPN Tunnel, without having to set anything up on the Guest.
So the final setup should be something like this:

LAN -> vmbr0 -> other VMs -> OpenVPN Tunnel -> vmbr1 -> VM

but I can't figure out how to setup OpenVPN to do this, as I always end up locking myself out... Has anyone ever had something like this?

Any help is appreciated, thanks

I created my VPN OPNsense connected to the 3 subnets: WAN, LAN and VPN.
Each subnet got its own bridge and my OPNsense is running the wireguard plugin. That OPNsense will only provide DNS/DHCP/gateway and so on on the VPN subnet. But I created some firewall rules that LAN and VPN are isolated but I whitelist specific ports/IPs to allow routing between the LAN and VPN subnet so for example guests in my VPN subnet can access my graylog and zabbix server in the LAN subnet and I also allowed SSH connection from LAN to the VPN subnet so I can access my guests there.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!