[SOLVED] How to re-sync Ceph after HW failure ?

francoisd

Renowned Member
Sep 10, 2009
Hi,

After a HW failure in a 3 nodes Proxmox VE 6.3 cluster, I replaced the HW, and re-joined the new node.
The replaced node is called hystou1, the 2 other nodes are hystou2 and 3.
I had a couple of minor issues when re-joining the new node since it has the same name, and I had to remove conflicting entries in the /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts of the remaining nodes. Eventually, the cluster came back as expected. Except Ceph.

When enabling Ceph on the replaced node, it installed required packages with the same (nautilus) version as on other nodes:
Code:
# cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ceph.list
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/ceph-nautilus buster main

The /mnt/pve/cephfs properly mounted and the ceph block devices are available for the VMs, but the none of the mon nor the osd did restart on the new node (hystou1). There's even no startup systemd config.

Before fixing the OSD, I want to first fix the MON.

I manually added the link to the Ceph config file since it was missing : ln -s /etc/pve/ceph.conf /etc/ceph/

From the GUI, I cannot delete and re-create the Monitor process, since it's in undefined state (entry has no host error ):
1615743791864.png

Everything seem 'as expected' from the terminal as well:
Code:
root@hystou1:~# ceph status
  cluster:
    id:     3ce42410-da82-4467-bc36-258e1f2217b1
    health: HEALTH_WARN
            Degraded data redundancy: 35111/726129 objects degraded (4.835%), 40 pgs degraded, 40 pgs undersized
            1/3 mons down, quorum hystou3,hystou2

services:
    mon: 3 daemons, quorum hystou3,hystou2 (age 2h), out of quorum: hystou1
    mgr: hystou3(active, since 5d), standbys: hystou2
    mds: cephfs:1 {0=hystou3=up:active} 1 up:standby
    osd: 3 osds: 2 up (since 23h), 2 in (since 23h)

task status:
    scrub status:
        mds.hystou3: idle

data:
    pools:   3 pools, 72 pgs
    objects: 345.51k objects, 578 GiB
    usage:   1.1 TiB used, 254 GiB / 1.3 TiB avail
    pgs:     35111/726129 objects degraded (4.835%)
             40 active+undersized+degraded
             32 active+clean

io:
    client:   5.8 MiB/s rd, 290 KiB/s wr, 7 op/s rd, 43 op/s wr

When I follow the Ceph documentation to re-create the mon from any of the the quorum node, I have the following error:
Code:
root@hystou2:~# ceph-mon -i `hostname` --extract-monmap /tmp/monmap
2021-03-14 18:45:45.503 7f61f3ed8400 -1 rocksdb: IO error: While lock file: /var/lib/ceph/mon/ceph-hystou2/store.db/LOCK: Resource temporarily unavailable
2021-03-14 18:45:45.503 7f61f3ed8400 -1 error opening mon data directory at '/var/lib/ceph/mon/ceph-hystou2': (22) Invalid argument
root@hystou2:~#

Do you have any idea or guide I should follow to fix the Ceph cluster after a HW failure on Proxmox VE 6.3 ?

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the tip.

Here is what I did, from the new node (hystou1), without stopping the remaining available monitors:
Code:
ln -s /etc/pve/ceph.conf /etc/ceph/
mkdir /root/tmp
ceph auth get mon. -o /root/tmp/key
ceph mon getmap -o /root/tmp/map
ceph-mon -i `hostname` --mkfs --monmap /root/tmp/map --keyring /root/tmp/key
ceph-mon -i `hostname` --public-addr 192.168.232.21:6789

Which bring me back my monitor:
Code:
root@hystou1:/etc/ceph# ceph status | grep mon:
    mon: 3 daemons, quorum hystou3,hystou2,hystou1 (age 4m)

However, the monitor does not have the systemctl startup files...
How to create the startup files for the monitor ?

Hi, yes, I stopped the mon for the time to extract the map. Problem is fixed. Thanks !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!