How to merge a disk

Hotelk

Jul 5, 2023
Hello

I am newbie in Proxmox, i have a question

When i installed proxmox, it created 2 disks - local 72GB and local-lvm 152GB. My hard drive is rated at 256GB

How can I combine these spaces so that they can be used as one?

Thank you

Queston...why do you want to combine them? "local" is for system + files, "local-lvm" is for virtual disks of VM/LXCs. While it is possible to store virtual disks on "local" as image files, you will get more disk wear and less performance because of the additional overhead. If there is not a good reason why you want delete "local-lvm", like you don't want to store VM/LXCs on that disk, because you got a dedicated disk for that, it would be better to stick with the defaults.

Queston...why do you want to combine them? "local" is for system + files, "local-lvm" is for virtual disks of VM/LXCs. While it is possible to store virtual disks on "local" as image files, you will get more disk wear and less performance because of the additional overhead. If there is not a good reason why you want delete "local-lvm", like you don't want to store VM/LXCs on that disk, because you got a dedicated disk for that, it would be better to stick with the defaults.
The problem is that I installed Home Assistant (OS for the smart house) via Proxmox VE Helper Scripts, but somehow it got installed on "local-lvm". Then I wanted to install transmission (Torrent tracker), but for some reason it was installed on "local", where there is only 72GB of free space, and it's not enough for me to download movies.

"Local-lvm" uses only 6% of the disk space, while "local" - 98%

If you have any ideas that you can share with me, I would really appreciate it

P.S: I Installed "Transmission" via ubuntu, so maybe that's why it located in "local"

Last edited:
If you have any ideas that you can share with me, I would really appreciate it
1) It makes no difference how you install the OS for any of your applications, the choice of underlying storage is always up to you during the setup phase of the Virtual Machine, i.e. before the OS install is started
2) You need to read more and experiment with various options, as @Dunuin described there are pros and cons to both local and local-lvm
3) If you decided to forgo the local-lvm storage - you have an option to MOVE the disk across storage types (under VM,hardware,disk)

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: Hotelk
1) It makes no difference how you install the OS for any of your applications, the choice of underlying storage is always up to you during the setup phase of the Virtual Machine, i.e. before the OS install is started
2) You need to read more and experiment with various options, as @Dunuin described there are pros and cons to both local and local-lvm
3) If you decided to forgo the local-lvm storage - you have an option to MOVE the disk across storage types (under VM,hardware,disk)

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
I understand thank you.

Yesterday I experimented, and I realized that I need a 32Gb "local-lvm" storage (Now it's 150 Gb)

How can I reduce the "local-lvm" storage?

Thank you

Yesterday I experimented, and I realized that I need a 32Gb "local-lvm" storage (Now it's 150 Gb)
I don't get why you don't just move your virtual disks of your Torrent Tracker VM/LXC from "local" to "local-lvm". Then you don't need all that space in "local".

How can I reduce the "local-lvm" storage?
"local-lvm" is a LVM-Thin pool and these can't be shrinked. If you want "local-lvm" smaller you would need to destroy that "data" LV, recreate it with smaller size and then extend the "root" LV and ext4 filesystem with the unallocated space of the "pve" VG.

I don't get why you don't just move your virtual disks of your Torrent Tracker VM/LXC from "local" to "local-lvm". Then you don't need all that space in "local".
Because then I can't use Home Assistant OS because it requires a "local-lvm" container when installed. And maybe i will use in the future
"local-lvm" is a LVM-Thin pool and these can't be shrinked. If you want "local-lvm" smaller you would need to destroy that "data" LV, recreate it with smaller size and then extend the "root" LV and ext4 filesystem with the unallocated space of the "pve" VG.
Can you please send these actions in more detail? I just deleted the "local-lvm" container, but I can't create a new one because it says in "thinpool" that there are no free disks

Because then I can't use Home Assistant OS because it requires a "local-lvm" container when installed. And maybe i will use in the future
First HomeAssistent doesn't require to be installed on "local-lvm". You don't need to use that install script. You can install HomeAssistant OS in few minutes by manually installing it following the installation guide on the HomeAssistant website.
Second, I asked why you don'T just move your transmission from "local" to "local-lvm"...not HomeAssistant from "local-lvm" to "local".
Can you please send these actions in more detail? I just deleted the "local-lvm" container, but I can't create a new one because it says in "thinpool" that there are no free disks
You need to do that manually in CLI. Similar to here: https://access.redhat.com/documenta...nistration/thinly_provisioned_volume_creation

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!