How to install Win11 in Proxmox | Quick guide | And fix problems of network search

Bl1c

Aug 15, 2023
Ukraine
To get started, we need:
Next create VM, We need this:
  • OS — use w11 image
  • System — use SCSI controller — VirtIO SCSI | Bios OVMF (UEFI) and add TPM
  • Disk — VirtIO Block and minimal disk size 64 Gb
Add CD/DVD Drive to Hardware, use IDE virtio-win Image. Now we can start VM and press Enter to Console VM.
As usual, go through all the steps to the disk selection window.
Next step: “Load Drive” We are looking for CD virtio-win. Open folder viostore > w11 > amd64.
We continue with the usual installation.

But, I faced the following problem.
In the network device selection window, but a network was detected and could not be skipped this step.
My network device received IPv6 settings for DHCP.
Open Shift+F10 console. Open taskmgr to stop network connection flow service.
We can open Special features and change network setting on Windows. I set my current IPv4 parameter, and again stop network connection flow service.

Hooray, everything should go smoothly from here on out) But this is win11 :D

Great guide!

I got stuck at the network step as I wasn't able to open the special features, but found another way around here that worked perfectly for me:

You can open another prompt and you can change to drive D: and you can run the VirtIO MSI or EXE from there.

I guess that if you do this in the first step, it install all drivers and you have to do it only once, not sure, but will try next time.

Thanks!

I was not able to boot after following these fantastic instructions. I had to go to Options to change the Boot Order.
Original: Options > Boot Order > ide2, net0
Modified: Options > Boot Order > virtio0, ide2, net0

Reactions: Bl1c
Thanks for the settings.
Everything works, but why choose Disk — VirtIO Block?
You can just select Hardware - Hard Disk - SATA and it will work without additional drivers.
So, you need to go to Options - Boot Order and disabled the net0.
And Hardware - Network Device choose Realtek RTL8139 or something else, except VirtIo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the settings.
Everything works, but why choose Disk — VirtIO Block?
You can just select Hardware - Hard Disk - SATA and it will work without additional drivers.
So, you need to go to Options - Boot Order and disabled the net0.
And Hardware - Network Device choose Realtek RTL8139 or something else, except VirtIo.
VirtIO is used because it offers way better performance in virtualized environments. SATA and Realtek work without extra drivers, but they add emulation overhead, which slows things down. VirtIO is designed for VMs, so disk and network I/O are much faster. If you don’t mind installing the drivers, it's definitely worth it for the performance boost.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!