How to hide multipathed iSCSI storage targets in GUI?

jose-d

Aug 23, 2023
I'm using LVM on top of multipath on top of iSCSI storage.

my iSCSI storage has 8 iSCSI endpoints (each controller has 4 ethernet ports, and as I'm using MCS, each controller has 4 IP addresses to load-balance the traffic)

can I somehow hide these iSCSI storage in Proxmox GUI? At the end, I don't need to see the underlying iSCSI targets in GUI - it's perfectly enough to see the LVM storage on top of all of that..

Just for better explanation, this is the multipath topology I use: (4x active + 4xenabled)

Code:
a1ac33c6418b11eebe560242ac120002a dm-3 VendorString
size=12T features='1 queue_if_no_path' hwhandler='1 alua' wp=rw
|-+- policy='service-time 0' prio=50 status=active
| |- 19:0:0:1 sdi 8:128 active ready running
| |- 18:0:0:1 sdl 8:176 active ready running
| |- 17:0:0:1 sdk 8:160 active ready running
| `- 16:0:0:1 sdj 8:144 active ready running
`-+- policy='service-time 0' prio=10 status=enabled
|- 15:0:0:1 sdg 8:96  active ready running
|- 13:0:0:1 sdf 8:80  active ready running
|- 12:0:0:1 sdd 8:48  active ready running
`- 14:0:0:1 sdh 8:112 active ready running

and snippet from storage.conf:

Code:
iscsi: storage.phoebe_A0
        portal 192.0.2.10
        target vendor:uid.001
        content none

iscsi: storage.phoebe_B0
        portal 192.0.2.11
        target vendor:uid.012
        content none

# and same for remaining 6 targets

Attachments

• pve_multiple_iscsi_storages.png
    pve_multiple_iscsi_storages.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 14
can I somehow hide these iSCSI storage in Proxmox GUI? At the end, I don't need to see the underlying iSCSI targets in GUI - it's perfectly enough to see the LVM storage on top of all of that..
I feel you, but I personally have never looked at that page and only operate my clusters with datacenter view, abstracting the nodes away. Do you look at that page often?

Do you look at that page often?

Usually I look there when I do some migrations (because of update PVE/underlying HW FW, etc..).
As I have PVE cluster with two microarchitecture "subclusters", the locality of VMs and containers is a bit important to me - also because some nodes have local NVME, some have GPUs, other have Infiniband, etc, etc..

I'm also trying to keep the resources reasonably utilized (I operate scientific computing facility) so ya, this view is almost my default one.

[...]

[...]
Yes.
It is enough to see VG.
As soon as multipathing is working, you can hide iSCSI part of the storage.

But in the end, this is NOT what we did : keeping them in proxmox GUI gives an easy way to know a path is down.

To hide them, iirc, edit /etc/pve/storage.cfg is the way.

Regards,

Christophe.

Last edited:
Usually I look there when I do some migrations (because of update PVE/underlying HW FW, etc..).
As I have PVE cluster with two microarchitecture "subclusters", the locality of VMs and containers is a bit important to me - also because some nodes have local NVME, some have GPUs, other have Infiniband, etc, etc..

I'm also trying to keep the resources reasonably utilized (I operate scientific computing facility) so ya, this view is almost my default one.
Thank you. Yes, I can understand now. Automatically ignoring child devices is a good idea

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!