[SOLVED] How to get Xterm working with Ubuntu VM?

What have you tried?

I just tested it, added the serial0 device, started the VM and added the unit file as described in the second link. Enabled it and started it.
The already opened xterm window showed the login prompt a moment later.

What have you tried?

I just tested it, added the serial0 device, started the VM and added the unit file as described in the second link. Enabled it and started it.
The already opened xterm window showed the login prompt a moment later.

Exactly that, I added the lines to the grub file and rebooted too.

I left it running for a bit longer this time to see if anything happens, this showed up after a while, but still can't do anything else:
Code:
[   67.587809] random: crng init done
[   67.588586] random: 7 urandom warning(s) missed due to ratelimiting

Hmm, you did reboot the VM (not from within the VM, but PVE) after you added the serial0 port? What is the status of the ttyS0 service?
systemctl status ttyS0.service

Hmm, you did reboot the VM (not from within the VM, but PVE) after you added the serial0 port? What is the status of the ttyS0 service?
systemctl status ttyS0.service

Just tried that too. Seems to be running:

Code:
● ttyS0.service - Serial Console Service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ttyS0.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2020-01-08 09:39:31 UTC; 24s ago
 Main PID: 1046 (getty)
    Tasks: 1 (limit: 2317)
   CGroup: /system.slice/ttyS0.service
           └─1046 /sbin/getty -L 115200 ttyS0 vt102

Jan 08 09:39:31 ubuntu systemd[1]: Started Serial Console Service.

This might sound stupid, but have you tried to hit the enter key? The fact that kernel messages show up suggests that it is working. The login prompt might only show if you give it some input though.

Reactions: banana999
This might sound stupid, but have you tried to hit the enter key? The fact that kernel messages show up suggests that it is working. The login prompt might only show if you give it some input though.

... oh my god I can't believe that was it o_O
Didn't even think of that because the Proxmox host xterm just straight up shows the prompt, thanks!!!

Reactions: soupdiver
Well, sometimes it's the little things :). Can you please edit the first post and mark the thread as solved?

My sincere apologies bumping up an old thread, but I've have a look and experimented with the instruction in both links above with no luck.
Although my situation is slightly different: I'm trying to access my windows 7 VMs via xterm.js in place of SPICE.
I hope someone can kindly point me in the right direction.
Thanks.

My sincere apologies bumping up an old thread, but I've have a look and experimented with the instruction in both links above with no luck.
Although my situation is slightly different: I'm trying to access my windows 7 VMs via xterm.js in place of SPICE.
I hope someone can kindly point me in the right direction.
Thanks.

xterm.js is not available on Windows. Please open a new thread for new questions, do not post to a already solved thread dealing with another question.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!