How to extend drives on a running system?

passuff

Aug 15, 2019
I extended virtual drives on my HW Raids. Now I need to extendend also the drives in proxmox (sda 2x 960GB Raid 1)and also sdb 4x1.92Tb Raid 5). I'm a total noob with proxmox and failed with extending them with tutorials. Hope to find some help over here.

Last edited:
You need to ask a bit more detailed.

Unless you do not provide detailed information, its a bit hard to help. And what part failed and why?

Best practice to start: Search this forum and learn from similar posts.

ok, understand.
I will try: Lets start with Raid 1: First it was 2x 120Gb Raid. I changed it to 2x 960GB and extended the virtual Volume in HW Raid menue. /dev/sda disk is now 893.75 Gb. Up to here everything is clear. Now I start to not understand Proxmox/Linux storage stuff. I would like to adapt Proxmox storage to the adjusted diks size.
In LVM I can see "pve" (110.75Gb) on /dev/sda3 and on LVM-Thin I can see data (59.59Gb). Not sure what else is needed...

* Usually you would need to resize the partition where your pve - VG is on (you can use parted for that after installing it with `apt install parted` - check its man-page `man parted).
* after extending the partition you need to run pvresize to increase the available space (see e.g. [0] for a short howto)
* last you need to expand the thin-pool (keep in mind to also increase the metadata - otherwise you can lose your data) - see our wiki at [1]

I hope this explains it

[0] https://www.thegeekdiary.com/centos...-in-lvm-by-extending-the-disk-partition-used/
[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/LVM2#Resize_metadata_pool

Thx a lot. Unfortunately I'm not able to follow you. I will backup everything and reinstall Proxmox.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!