How to customize Proxmox 2.x Installer CD

zenny

Jul 7, 2008
Hi: Trying to figure out how to customize Proxmox 2.0 Installer CD with the following additions: 1) xserver, any lightweight DE (like LXDE and i3) and a few other customized packages. 2)To be installed on an ext2 partition to avoid journalling in a flash disk I know of using lb-config and lb-build scripts to build a customized debian installer, but how can that be achieved with Proxmox VE 2.x ISOs? I read here (https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-common.git;a=blob_plain;f=README.dev;hb=HEAD) the PM development instructions, but not how to create either an installer or a live usb image which can be dd-ed directly to any flash or usb stick. Any pointers would be highly appreciated. Thanks for the nice work again!

Yep, that is a way I have been following so far. But when it comes to mass deployment to flash disks, the time that consumes as it is explained above is too precious to spend on each machine. You understand what I mean. My requirement is to create a raw img file with all modifications and dd it to the flash/usb disks to boot from and mount other drives in RAID10. It would be nice to know your official process to do so without breaking anything, both application-wide and security-wise. Thanks!

... It would be nice to know your official process to do so without breaking anything, both application-wide and security-wise. Thanks!

we do not publish our internal build processes (via this community forum). pls contact martin@proxmox.com if you have further questions here.

we do not publish our internal build processes (via this community forum). pls contact martin@proxmox.com if you have further questions here.
Thanks! Certainly I will write to him. However, is it not mandatory to publish publicly all source code including the build process if you are using any GPL or AGPL code and have to release the codes also under the same license? Else it would be GPL violation, correct?. Just wondering! I just did a git pull of your source and checking if there is something about the build process, anyway.

all released code is GPLv2 or aGPLv3. but how we drink our coffee or how we sit on our chairs or how we do our work is a real different story.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!